Bathroom extractor fan keeps dying

Sponsored Links
Hi all - I've got a recurring problem with this bathroom extractor fan I was hoping someone could help with. One was already installed in my bathroom; I had some building work done (not on that room of circuit) and during the work it blew. I put it down to all the dust and crap that was around and replaced like for like. The replacement then blew a couple of months later; I replaced it myself at the time but it was all checked by our electrician when they did some wiring work for the previously mentioned extension. And now it's just stopped working again! I have always replaced it with the same as the external housing is all there and I can just slide it in, but there's clearly something up. Although it has 5 stars on screwfix some are complaining of similar issues. I can't see how I could have wired it in any different; it's just coming off the ceiling lighting pull cord rose. I have read some people saying you should be adding a fuse but I can't understand why you would need to do that, and the instructions don't mention that either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong? Thanks!

Did Screwfix give you a free replacement?

If yes, if it dies again, ask for a refund and then if you want to, use the refund to buy another one. That way you end up with another 12 months of warranty.

Personally, I would contact Manrose but at that price, I suspect that they would rather you returned it for a replacement. You spending 5 minutes on the phone to their customer services wipes out any margin on the product. If you take it back to screwfix, they (manrose) still need to pay for the replacement but it is the screwfix staff paying for the customer services.

Hi all - apologies for delay in reply it’s been hectic. So when I say ‘blew’ one time it was a bang and smoke and the rest it’s just stopped working. As for the existing wiring it’s just taken a live, switched live and neutral from the light switch pendant in the same room, no isolation and no fuse. For the sake of time I’ve picked up another fan that seemed decent (xpelair C4TSR) and the instructions also say I need double pole isolation switch and fuse not exceeding 5A. Prob here is all walls are tiled and there are no stud walls so it’s going to be a real bitch to run a switch. Does anyone have an idea of a work around here? From what I can tell there’s a grey area aboht what manufacturer says and what is actually necessary. I’m all for following manufacture where possible but in this situation how necessary is it?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have an idea of a work around here?
Yes, ignore the so-called instructions.

From what I can tell there’s a grey area aboht what manufacturer says and what is actually necessary. I’m all for following manufacture where possible but in this situation how necessary is it?
Not at all necessary.

Do your instructions also state similar to the items in post #10?
That is you must have a qualified electrician to supervise you and it must conform to the wiring regulations which state no such things?

Update in case everyone's interested; I've realised that my painter painted the vent shut on the other side; i had cleared it out to make sure there was nothing obstructing but didnt think to check the vent. so I reckon lack of air flow has caused the fan to burn out! At least thats my theory

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back