PIR extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a PIR extractor fan in our bathroom wired up to a fuse outside the bathroom.

The fan has gone on the blink so I cleaned it up but still no joy.

It was wired with a live and neutral wire.

My question is - am I best to replace this with a new PIR fan. Or could I just get a normal extractor fan that is controlled by a pull cord / switch. Rather than wiring a new pull cord or connecting into the light circuit - could I change our current fuse outside the bathroom to be a fuse with a switch and use this to turn the fan on and off?

Sorry if that is a daft question...

Sponsored Links
cheers for the qucik reply.

Normal extractor fans a re alot cheaper than PIR ones so I take it the second option is better.

I just want to be sure that there is no safety impications by using a fused switch to act as the on/off swith - it is defo OK?

Also do plain extractor fans just expect a live and neutral wire? No swiched lives etc that the timed fans need?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can use an ordinary switched fan if you wish. If you have kids and you want the fan to come on every time the room is used, I would stick with the PIR option.

If you are OK with a manual switch, then fine.

Straight single speed fans with no control circuitry just have L&N connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back