Bathroom extractor fan recommendation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a really good bathroom extractor fan. At the moment we have a pretty weak one with an extraction rate of 27 l/s. It's positioned right over the shower yet we get bad condensation on the walls.

A friend has an inline system with a humidity sensor. It automatically varies rate of extraction according to humidity levels - but the max extraction rate is only 50 l/s. Our bathroom is 2.8 x 2.6 x 2.4 (w x d x h) and the fan is ceiling mounted above the shower. I calculated that we need 100 l/s minimum.

I am considering a Manrose inline fan or TD 350 or similar but totally lost as to which is actually the best option.

Key things I need:

- Inline fan
- 100 l/s extraction rate or higher
- Humidity sensor
- Not a must, but ideally would vary extraction rate in response to humidity levels

Do people have any suggestions for specific models?

Sponsored Links
If you can fit an inline ducted fan, I don't think you will do better than Soler & Palau (same company as Envirovent)

The 240 cu.m/hr version is usually sufficient for a room with shower, and is very quiet, especially when fitted in the loft, screwed to a thick piece of ply padded with carpet underlay or something over the joists

100 Liters per second (L/sec of flow rate)
Equals : 360.00 cubic meters per hour (m3/h / flow rate)

I favour the light switch to turn it on, with a timed overrun. I am unimpressed by humidstats but you could add one for secondary switching if you wanted to.

I'm guessing you have a 100mm duct.

Examples

Thanks. I read that they're not as reliable as Manrose? But I might be wrong in that. The reason I wanted the humidistat is that I like the idea of the fan responding to elevated humidity even when someone's not using the shower etc. The house is generally fairly humid and we live in a part of the country that is pretty damp so every little helps IMO...

I'm surprised, the Manrose I've seen have been noticeably poor, and cheap in every sense. But I think they buy in their ducted range.

IME the humidstats don't turn on until the bathroom is steamy, wheras the light switch is on before you turn on the shower.

It also comes on to keep the room fresh when you use the WC

Noise and electricity consumption are negligible.

Sponsored Links
I just bought some anti condensation paint for our walls - it has minute glass beads mixed into it to make the walls slightly warmer to touch. Fans don't stop condensation they merely pump the steam out.

In this case, it might reduce the amount by a tiny fraction - but It'll still definitely happen.

It's positioned right over the shower yet we get bad condensation on the walls.
Bad is relative, but assuming it is -
The house is generally fairly humid and we live in a part of the country that is pretty damp so every little helps IMO...
You need to address these fundamental problems.

Fans don't stop condensation they merely pump the steam out.
Never a truer word, I looked at three homes, each one had a shower, one had problem with Mould, other two did not, and only one had a fan rarely used, so I sat back and tried to work out why.

What I realised was the problem was the house with mould had the shower over the bath, two sides were walls, one was a glass panel touching bath side, but the last side it went over the bath and caused a chimney effect.

There was a flow of air into bath up the shower cubical and out of top into the whole room, so whole room full of moisture. The problem was this flow of air.

So if the shower cubical seals at the bottom, then no chimney effect, and moisture is not transferred to whole room in the same way.

A fan directly above the shower cubical direct outside will remove moisture, but put the fan in the wall, and it drags the moisture into the room first, and causes more moisture to enter room not less.

Switching the fan on after one has finished showering will remove moisture, switch it on while showering can drag the moisture into the room. Also shower curtains cause problems, mothers wet room with no shower curtain had no problems with mould, as the moisture was only around area of the shower, it did have an extractor directly above the shower, and under floor heating, however both hardly ever used, a quick mop down after the shower and room soon dried.

But I have never moped down a bath, we leave it wet, in fact make it worse by putting anti slip mats in the shower area which retain the moisture. Because in the wet room we did not want the water being walked around the house by anyone using the loo, we always mopped down after use.

You need to address these fundamental problems.
I wish I knew how, my father-in-law lived in an identical house to my last one, his humidity was around 80% my house around 70% and this house at moment showing 60% and raining cats and dogs at moment.

I have tried to work out why, and cooking with gas is clearly one of the problems, but neither of my homes did we use gas to cook with, this house tumble drier in an unheated room with window always left open, last house tumble drier was in kitchen so it pumped out air heated not only by tumble drier but also central heating, both homes have a flue, old house gas fire with flue brick, this house solid fuel fire with nothing to stop rain going down the chimney so should be worse, but is better.

Looked at the idea of a heat recovery unit, but never got around to fitting one.

So I have no idea why this house in Mid Wales is dryer than the old house in North Wales, the humidity meter shows me it is, but no idea why.

Clearly any extractor fan must cause a draft and draw in replacement air from some where, likely rest of house, unless a heat recovery unit is fitted, so this house at 60% has a flying start over last house at 70%. And only extractor is the chimney and the cooker hood, the latter hardly every used.

With an induction hob with auto boil/simmer option, likely less moisture due to cooking, and also less heat into the kitchen, but most of my cooking is with a microwave, so that hardly helps. I would say most likely reason for less moisture in this house is the size of the house, three floors, five bedrooms, three bathrooms, two kitchens etc. We actually have a back and front kitchen, although back kitchen seldom used.

But I digress, what I am saying is look at your home as a whole, open fires, induction hobs, vents to outside all make a difference. Try to work out why your home is damp, be it driving rain, or un-vented gas appliances.

Next is how to address as a whole. Move away from gas cooking, fit heat recovery units, throw out the kids (only kidding) or mopping down after use. Stop looking at just the bathroom but look at whole home.

I would say most likely reason for less moisture in this house is the size of the house, three floors, five bedrooms, three bathrooms, two kitchens etc. We actually have a back and front kitchen, although back kitchen seldom used.
Yes - greater volume of air to the likely same amount of humidity caused.

All the humidity is caused by the inhabitants.
There is no condensation in vacant draughty houses.

Try to work out why your home is damp, be it driving rain, or un-vented gas appliances.
Several people, several animals, several plants, cooking, washing drying on clothes horse etc.

The same property can have really bad condensation or none at all depending on the tenants.
One tenant I used to get complaints from about condensation had all of the above in a small flat plus, on one occasion, the water left in the bath for some reason. I didn't bother to ask.

My bathroom used to get condensation on the external walls before getting CWI.
Cured by warm walls.

With an improved fan, even the window only gets misty now.

Hey all, I just wanted to follow up on this thread in case it helps anyone with a similar problem.

Following JohnD's suggestion and more research on my part, we got a TD Silent 350 timer inline fan installed. (We also topped up the rockwool insulation above the bathroom from 270mm to 370mm). The difference is astonishing. To everyone saying "fans don't treat condensation" - you are wrong in this case, the fan is very clearly taking the moisture out of the room. We used to get water dripping down the walls near the shower cubicle - not happening any more. The big test was this morning when my wife had a shower and washed her hair - this is the longest the shower is ever in use. Not a drop on the walls. The lightest film of condensation on the ceiling above the shower, which I think would be unavoidable.

To EFLImpudence who said "you need to address these fundamental problems" - sorry, but I can't change the climate around my house! We live in a relatively cool, humid place, that's just how it is. And improving ventilation, e.g. via a good bathroom fan and other measures, is actually part of the solution here!

We also plan to upgrade the radiator in the bathroom to a better emitter and eventually put CWI in, all of which will improve the situation further. But this fan has really helped in the meantime. Thanks to JohnD for great advice!

Last edited:
we got a TD Silent 350 timer inline fan installed. (We also topped up the rockwool insulation above the bathroom from 270mm to 370mm). The difference is astonishing. To everyone saying "fans don't treat condensation" - you are wrong in this case, the fan is very clearly taking the moisture out of the room.

Very pleased to hear you got such good results. It's about four times as powerful as the little fans usually fitted by builders, and relatively expensive, but very quiet.

Yes the lower noise level is lovely. The old fan was much more noticeable in that regard. Only issue is the electrician put a very ugly ceiling vent in with the new one, which I will replace for something nicer in due course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back