Bathroom extractor fan switching on when lights off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just joined in hope that someone maybe able to help!!! I've fitted the bathroom extractor fan as per instructions & wired it into the light switch but the fan comes on when the light goes off! Like much in my life! I've tried wiring it the oposite way round but the same thing happens- any ideas??? thx, Katrina :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I've fitted the bathroom extractor fan as per instructions & wired it into the light switch...
Please could you give specific details of the switch and how you've connected the fan to it?

For example, is it a two-way switch or a one-way? What were the markings on the switch terminals that you used?

ah ok, missed the switch bit..

you've fallen for the common mistake.. if you've only got a red and black at the switch, the black wire IS NOT NEUTRAL... you cannot wire it from the switch.. wire it from the fitting..

Sponsored Links
You have a 2 way switch being used as a 1 way switch and you've connected the fan to the unused terminal, thats why the fan runs when you switch off.

Connect the fan to one of the other switch terminals.

If the fan cannot be switched off, move to the other terminal.

cobblers does the same thing if it's a one way switch too..
with the switch on there is no PD between the red and black wires.. with the switch off the black wire effectively becomes neutral as it's connected through the light itself..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back