Bathroom extractor fan with timer, pullcord, humidistat help

I think this will do it but wait for confirmation from others

View media item 36712
Edit - Of course, if there is only one wire from the switch back to the terminal block you could remove the switch completely but it is difficult to tell from the picture.

Sponsored Links
Well I tried it yet again when I got home from work, and everything worked great. The fan switched off after a while once the lights were turned off, I was high-fiving myself.

But now I just went back in there to use the toilet and the lights won't come on, the ceiling switch still turns the fan on, but the actual lights don't go on. Is there something going on with the wiring in the flat??

I think this will do it but wait for confirmation from others

View media item 36712
Edit - Of course, if there is only one wire from the switch back to the terminal block you could remove the switch completely but it is difficult to tell from the picture.

Hi there, it's hard to tell from the picture, but the switch goes to L and SL. I removed the switch entirely and it worked fine until my new problem of the lights not going on...

Have you had the light fitting apart? If so maybe you disturbed a connection?
Maybe the bulb has failed/blown?

If the fan turns on when you operate the ceiling light then you almost certainly have a loose light drop wire to the light fitting (either the black/blue or the red/brown)

Or, as I say, the bulb has simply blown.

Sponsored Links
Have you had the light fitting apart? If so maybe you disturbed a connection?
Maybe the bulb has failed/blown?

If the fan turns on when you operate the ceiling light then you almost certainly have a loose light drop wire to the light fitting (either the black/blue or the red/brown)

Or, as I say, the bulb has simply blown.

I haven't touched the light fitting, the fan is about 12 inches away from the light fitting with the wire coming in from ceiling. All I did was remove the old fan and put this one up. The light isn't blown, as it's a set of four halogens, unless they all have blown.

Do you have a safe/reliable way to test for voltage? MultiMeter?

Admittedly unlikely that all lamps have blown but either that or a loose connection at the lamp are really the only possibilities.

Do you have a junction box above the ceiling for the lights?

Yeah you were right; the light unit had died. It was an old halogen unit that was originally in the kitchen when we moved in. I put some other lights up as a temporary measure this AM and they are fine.

Yeah you were right; the light unit had died. It was an old halogen unit that was originally in the kitchen when we moved in. I put some other lights up as a temporary measure this AM and they are fine.

Replace them with LED or compact fluorescent lamps(CFL) Longer life, lower running temperature, higher efficiency, lower electricity bill, fewer wind-farms, more time down the pub :mrgreen:

The whole flat is filled with ruddy halogens. This temporary unit is LED, and I like it so far. Just need a brighter one for the bathroom. Got it at Lidl for £17, which included three LED GU10s.

I find the fan so hard to control though. The humidistat is sensitive so I had to turn it way up, otherwise it is going off all the time as it was so wet outside yesterday. this would all be easy if we didn't have such high ceilings. I'm over 6 foot but still need a big ladder to get up to the thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back