Bathroom fan. Timer or Humidistat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a fan in the bathroom from a normal pullcord one to either one with a timer or with a humidistat.

Which one is better and why or is it personal preference?

Do both need three core and earth cable and does this mean they will need a permanent and switched live?

Anything else I need to know which might affect which one to install?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I want to change a fan in the bathroom from a normal pullcord one to either one with a timer or with a humidistat.

Which one is better and why or is it personal preference?
Depends what your budget is? xpelair do a range of varying models in quality and price, I have never had a problem with the brand.
Do both need three core and earth cable and does this mean they will need a permanent and switched live?
For over run/timer fans you will require a permanent live and this can be acquired by using three core and earth cables.
Anything else I need to know which might affect which one to install?
You will need a suitable sized fan for the cubic area of the room to extracted, also so air can be circulated correctly placement of the fan is important. Plus when purchasing or pre-purchase of the fan be aware of the manufacturers instruction as they should ideally be complied to. There will be a need to install a fan isolator or switched fused connection.
Then don't forget that the location comes under notifiable work, if it is not a straight forward replacement and new cables are being installed. Plus the requirement of RCD protection, if not already available for existing circuit.

Thank you for the reply. If I did not want to run a permanent live which fan/s would only run off of a switched live.

Timer, humidistat?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Neither.......................You need a permanent live for both fans.
That's certainly true, but it's not immediately obvious to me why a fan with a humidistat would, per se, require a 'switched live' unless one wanted some other switching functionality (such as coming on with lights, or over-ride of the humidistat) in addition to the humidistat-controlled functionality.

Kind Regards, John

I personally favour humidistats these days, but only decent ones.

You do not need a timed fan if you use a standalone humidistat. You just need one which has L/N/E terminals. (although the earth is not required on most these days).

Ventaxia do a new(ish) "Ambient Response Humidistat", and while it is quite expensive, it is very good at detecting steam/moisture, without the un-necessary false triggering that occurs with cheaper models. I have one, and the only times it runs is when showering or taking a steamy bath, you never hear it in the night, or randomly during the day.

I have it connected to an inline loft mounted centrifugal fan. The humidistat itself has a pull cord to override if you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back