Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to install an extractor fan in my bathroom and have noticed that there is an external airbrick position precisely where I want the external vent. I'm not quite sure whether this used to vent right through to my bathroom or not, as it is plastered over on the inside.

My idea was to knock/drill out the internal bricks and mount the fan such that the external vent sat behind the airbrick, effectively being hidden by the air brick.

Is this sensible? I'm a little worried that the mositure from the extractor might cause damp problems in the air brick and surrounding bricks.

Thanks

Nath

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a lot of trouble, might be easier to remove and reposition airbirck, brick up the hole and then diamond core cut the hole out when mortar set and fit a proper cowl on completion.

you line the hole with a plastic duct, this prevents damp from the steamy air making the wall damp (or getting into the cavity if it is a cavity wall)

depending on the age of the house the airbrick might be a cavity ventilator, they are not now used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back