Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Confession time - I am an absolute novice when it comes to DIY, but now it seems I must face my fears.

In the house I've just bought the extractor fan in the bathroom comes on when you pull the light cord. However disaster struck a few days ago when the extractor fan failed to come on when the lights came on. You can imagine my condensation problems.

Has anyone got any advice on how the system works and how I can resolve it (without getting in an electrician).

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the fan is wired in paraleel with the lights, perhaps the fan has gone, or maybe it has a separte fuse?

if ur fan was staying on for some time after the light was sw off then there is a timer involved which makes the fan live all the times{ apart from removing the fuse for the lights] SO remove the fuse,remove the fan cover and try turning the fan by hand; chances are u find is very stiff which if is nothing obvios making it stiff is burned out and u need a new one; if u lucky u can buy a new one which is the same and can plug in with no wiring involved. take the old one to ur local retailer

Sponsored Links
you should chek that ther is power to the fan by taking off the frunt cover, you will need a per of test probs raytad at 1000 volts (BS), then check for power betwene live and nutral, if you donot have 230 volts (UK) then ther is brak between the light swich and the fan, if you do have power then switc off power to the bathroom lihgt then try to trune the rowtr if stiff then the fan ismost proberly ****t, take nowt of wiring then go to shop it is proberly a 6" fluwe just check, esy to instull just follw the manefachrs destucshins gud look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back