Extractor Fan - Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing an extractor fan in the bathroom. The fan will be connected into the lighting circuit so that when the light is switched on the fan will come on as well. The fan has a timer that allows the fan to run for 15-20 minutes after the light is switched off.

I am using 3 core & earth cable to connect the fan to the ceiling rose. The problem I have is that the extractor fan has no connection for the earth wire. Am I correct in assuming that I do not use the earth wire in the 3 core cable at all?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Leggo

Sponsored Links
If you run your fan from the light switch surely it will turn off when you remove the power to the lights?
As for the earth... are you sure there is no connection for the wire?
If its all plastic and no metal bits showing i guess there is no need for an earth... What do the instructions say?

The fan continues to run for 15-20 minutes after the light is switched off which is exactly what I want.

The instructions and wiring diagrams for the extractor fan do not show/mention an earth connection at all. The unit is all plastic so maybe an earth is not required?

Sponsored Links
the reason it runs for 20 mins is because it has a permanent supply and the 3rd wire is to tell the timer to start (this wire is connected to the switch wire at the ceiling rose. Most extrator fans do not have an earth but do double check to see. if the earth is not required please put a connecor block and sleaving on it to stop it touching anything it shouldn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back