Bathroom extractor replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a in line extractor fan in my loft which i don't think is powerful enough for my bathroom so what could i replace it with ? My bathroom is about 12ft by 7ft by 8ft high. It has a shower and bath. I run the extractor while in there and a little after we use it but still get condensation problems. The extractor is just outside the shower cubicle. The ducting in the loft runs about 12 ft to the outside wall. If I get a new fan, could i install and wire it myself? Also the fan has a separate switch outside the bathroom. Could i get a fan with a timer to run a little time after its switched off?

Sorry so many questions

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can probably replace the in line fan with a more powerful one, but its best to find out what its rating is first!
Aim to run the fan for 20 minutes after showering, and use a plastic squeegee to wipe the shower walls / doors down too.
Timed fans require a permanent live feed, and also a switched one if you want to bash on yourself.
John :)

Just looked at that. was worried about the "2 speed " element of it. Would i need any extra electrics installed to use this? Also i have flexible ducting. Have you used this with the fan?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
was worried about the "2 speed " element of it.

Not a problem; you choose slow or fast when you fit it by putting wires in appropriate places in the terminal block.
There are physically similar but cheaper fans by Manrose and an unbranded one from Screwfix (black casing, otherwise looks identical). Not sure if this Vent Axia one has any quality or other benefits.

Seen a Vent Axia with a timer but wondering how easy is it to fit a live feed for the timer to work?
My current extractor operates from a switch outside the bathroom door.

how easy is it to fit a live feed for the timer to work?.

That depends on the wiring that you currently have. In the worst case, you'll need to replace the current cable from the switch to the fan with one with an extra conductor. If you're lucky, the extra permanent live will already be there because whoever fitted the current fan was thinking ahead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back