Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to use a 'timer' extractor fan in place of a 'standard' fan. I believe the wiring requirements are different, but since I do have a new 'timer' fan already I do not want to go an buy a 'standard' fan to replace the one that has broken. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
A 'timer' fan needs an additional live feed to work properly. I'm assuming your fan is wired into your light?

The 'standard' fan will just have switched live and hard neutral coming from the light 'rose' whereas the 'timer' fan will need a hard live from the rose too.

When you switch off the light with a 'standard' fan, the fan stops immediately too (as if it was just another light connected up) but when you have a 'timer' fan the timer is triggered by switching off the light. The timed fan obviously needs power (as the light is now off) and it gets this power from the hard live. The timer runs for its preset time then switches off.

btw, you can use a timer fan as a standard fan, just put the switched live into both live terminals (with a link wire). Obviously the timer won't work, the fan will operate as a standard (non timer) fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back