Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently my extractor fan works off the light pull and theres no isolation switch for the fan.

This means the fan comes only when the light is being used so in summer time never comes on to extract the steam because the light isn't being used. And in winter means it often comes on when not needed for showering and more often whilst using toilet/washing hands, which can be annoying in the middle of the night. (First world probs!)

My question is would it be possible to wire the extractor fan into the electric shower pull instead? Thus coming on only every time the shower is used? Would this change be simple and comply with UK regs?

The fan has a run off timer of about 30 mins which I'd need to keep, would this be possible using the shower pull in the same way that it is with the light pull? There is no humidistat. Does anyone foresee any probs? Advice please, TIA!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think (depending on models and voltages) that fans can be wired up in different ways. If you can state make and model of fan?

Yes, it would seem that’s possible can work off a switch (essentially the shower pull cord).

Sponsored Links
Two problems.
1. Additional fusing will be required as the fan cable will not be suitable for a 32 or 40A circuit.
2. The shower pull is for isolation for maintenance only and should NOT be turned off every time the shower is used.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You could use a flow switch on the water pipe to the shower.
Just Google
Water Flow Switch

there’s plenty about.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back