Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an extractor fan with timer fitted to my bathroom ceiling for some time. Recently after a gas fitter had been working above it I noticed that water was dripping from the fan, I removed the fan, dried the unit with a hairdryer, refitted it and it worked fine for weeks but now when I switch the light off the fan only buzzes but does not come on until I switch the light off and then the fan operates ok for a few minutes.
Is the fan needing replaced.

Sponsored Links
Can you get access to the back of the fan?What was the gas fitter instaling?Do you havethe ability to test the supplies?

Hi,
thanks for your reply
the gas fitter was servicing the boiler which is in the loft above the fan and he must have spilled water which penetrated into the fan space.
I can access the back of the fan and have a meter for checking electric supplies but the strange part is the fan worked ok for a while and now only works when the light which is supposed to activate it is switched off

Water won't do it any good and you may have to replace it. Coupled with electricity, it quickly rots circuit boards causing weird effects. I have a boxed, unused 4" Manrose with timer looking for a home. PM me if you want it.

Sponsored Links
hi,
I think you are right, it is probably time for a new one.

How do I get in touch with you about the Manrose

Sorry. I use PM on another forum. Try this:

Regards,

Paul.

please note forum rule 7 and general information item d

Camshie,

I didn't realise I can't put contact details on here and there's no personal message service. You may as well get one from a DIY shed or electrical wholesaler as I can't think of a way to get in touch. It would cost about the same when postage is added.

Good luck.

Thanks anyway, if you think this a goods make can you give me the type & model number,
regards,
camshie

Paulie, has now read forum rule 7, his contact information is in his profile.

I paid about £14 for it. They are popular but one of my customers thought was too noisy for an en-suite. There's no door between bedroom and bathroom. I got this as a replacement but in the meantime she bought a Vent-Axia which was noticeably quieter when fitted, hence I have it as a spare. Note that the surface to which the fan is fixed affects the sound level as does the balance and aerodynamics of the fan. A noisy, vibrating fan will sound awful fixed to plasterboard but a good one fixed to a sold wall will be quiet as a mouse.

Inline model fitted in the loft on platform hanging from rafters - you'll not hear much of it.
If the exhaust is via your soffit then the fanbody will be above air inlet and outlet therefore self draining with respect to condensation.

There is a benefit with the unit outside of the bathroom (in loft) ;)
:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back