bathroom extractor fans

although, as I've said, I don't recall having seen such an arrangement. I suppose the main problems are (a) in finding the fan switch to operate it night before one switches the light on and (b) remembering to put the switch back into the 'on' position (again, if one can find it!) after switching the lights off at night.

I also haven't ever seen such an arrangement, in my friends houses I've been to, they've all had a single light switch and a fan isolator switch. Most of the time (at least for the people I know) the isolators for the fans are off because the fans don't seem to do very much apart from make an annoying noise..... Just double checked and asked my fellow work colleagues about their arrangements and none have a double switch arrangement, all have the usual single switch arrangement with isolator for fan.

Edit: If it really stinks in the bathroom I just open the window for 5 minutes; does a great job of clearing a bad smell unlike the useless extractor fan :)

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
... bathroom ... bathroom ...
... bathroom ...
It's for a downstairs toilet under the stairs right outside the kitchen/living room.
You must be American ;)

I, and I expect others, were thinking this was a bathroom, and that therefore the fan would regularly be needed to clear steam from the room.

The extractor fan's isolator switch (above the door) is switched off most of the time as we hardly ever require the fan as the toilet isn't used for anything other than having a quick pee (because of it's location in the house).
Do we want to know more about that?

No, we do not. :eek:

Sounds as if commoning the fan and light at the switch and having an isolator will be fine.

Alternatively just get rid of the fan - you have an opening window and the fan doesn't work well anyway.

What I want is a single light switch by the bathroom door, and that this light switch will also turn on the fan any time I turn on the light. ... Therefore, it's suitable for us to only have one switch as the other switch doesn't really do anything (because the isolator has switched the fan off anyway). It's really annoying when you hit the wrong switch going into the toilet in a rush and the light doesn't come on.
Fair enough. In that case, as I've said, you can simply get rid of the offending 'fan switch', instead taking the 'switched live' to the fan directly from the light switch, rather than going via the 'fan switch'. That should be a very simple job to do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back