Bathroom extractor fans

Perhaps. People often get confused between the 'Building Regulations' and the 'Approved Documents'. While, if followed, the Approved Documents provide a route to compliance, non-compliance does not automatically follow from a failure to adhere to the advice provided within the Approved Documents.

In this instance, the regulation requires that 'there shall be adequate means of ventilation provided for people in the building'.

Here, we are concerned with 'purge ventilation', i.e. the 'manually controlled ventilation of rooms... to rapidly dilute pollutants and/or water vapour'. The approved document acknowledges that adequate Purge Ventilation may be achieved by 'natural means (e.g. an openable window)' and goes on talk about this in more detail in the appendices.

Well that's a new one on me......Is that something you have successfully obtained Building Regs approval for or is it just a hypothetical exercise? Not having mechanical ventilation in a bathroom seems like a sure fire way to ensure you get condensation problems not to mention the fall out from certain other bathroom activities, especially after a curry.

Sponsored Links
In my case, it's hypothetical. However, while it may not be smart, that doesn't mean it's not compliant!

So what about then when you do have a window - are you saying you dont need an extractor then?

Blimey this is getting tough.

Your OP was based on connecting a fan to a light which you inferred would then not be used during daylight hours.

You were then advised that the requirement was not to connect a fan to a light, but that if there was no window (ie a light would always be switched on), then it may be a good idea to connect the fan to the light so they both come on together.

It's got nothing to do with their being an opening window, and neither was your OP.

Well that's a new one on me......Is that something you have successfully obtained Building Regs approval for or is it just a hypothetical exercise? Not having mechanical ventilation in a bathroom seems like a sure fire way to ensure you get condensation problems not to mention the fall out from certain other bathroom activities, especially after a curry.
We don't have a connected extractor in the bathroom, it doesn't have any condensation problems. Do we maybe live in a physics defying house?

Sponsored Links
We don't have a connected extractor in the bathroom, it doesn't have any condensation problems. Do we maybe live in a physics defying house?

Just like that time I supported the first floor off a helium balloon in the spare bedroom, to save putting a beam in.

It was ok for us, but I'm not sure how the dart-playing couple who bought it off us are getting on.

Maybe you have cold showers? In which case you'll be out in 2 minutes:LOL:so no time to steam up.

More seriously if you have no cold bridges and a warm room you wouldn't get commendation

Maybe you have cold showers? In which case you'll be out in 2 minutes:LOL:so no time to steam up.

More seriously if you have no cold bridges and a warm room you wouldn't get commendation
No after my missus has been in the shower its like a rainforest in there, but I've been opening the window wide for about 15mins every day whilst I use the bathroom in the mornings (always before her) and we have no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back