Bathroom extractor fire & sparks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

Have a downstairs shower room that I haven't used the shower in a while as I've had a building project going on - have used the loo as normal but not the shower. It has an extractor fan that comes on with the light. Yesterday had a shower for first time in ages (not an electric one) and about 5 mins in there was a loud bang and smoke, with the board tripping. You could tell it was the fan as was smelling bad. Turned the light pull coard off and the board back on and the fan came back on as normal - but as soon as I turned the light back on there was a huge flash inside the fan (exactly where the terminal block is) and the board went again. I've taken the fan apart and can see what looks like burning in the middle terminal (which is the common live from the switch) and possible the transistor shown, but that could just from the initial soldering i'm thinking. So I'm wondering if anyone could point me to what caused this- can just replace fan but want to make sure it doesn't happen again as was a hefty out blow out. My first guess was some sort of arcing going on that caused a problem with the steam. But i checked the wiring and it seemed pretty decent, so maybe something internal? My other question is why the fan was running fine until the light goes on - i thought maybe the common is keeping the fan on so the timing mechanism which is likely mechanical is kicking back in, but it seems to common live which is burnt rather than the switched live so maybe that kills off that theory. Thoughts greatly appreciated, photo attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
Yes, new fan needed
i thought maybe the common is keeping the fan on so the timing mechanism which is likely mechanical is kicking back in
The timing mechanism is electric, not mechanical.
Your building work may have covered the timer board with clag, or the fan was jammed. Check everything is cleaned out before you switch on the new one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back