Bathroom extractor size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The extractor fan (Airflow Icon 15L) stopped working a couple of weeks ago, so need a new one. I believe swapping one for another is a fairly straight forward DIY job so i’ll be doing it myself.

Had a look on Amazon, and obviously there are lots to choose from, but not sure about the measurements. I’m assuming that the measurements are the size of the face of the extractor, and that the actual hole in the wall that the extracted moisture passes through is the same size the world over?

Basically, can I buy any old extractor that I like the look of and it’ll fit? Or do I have to measure the circumference of the hole?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You’ll need one of the same duct size. There are several different sizes.
And one that is powerful enough for the duct length. And has enough extract efficiency for the room size.
Cheap fans are only good enough to push air through a 9” wall but won’t hack a 3metre length of corrugated duct.

Is your existing fan a timer fan? If so you’ll need a timer fan to replace.

The Icon is a good fan, I’d stick with that if I were you. you may already have a timer module in there that you can reuse.

Sponsored Links
You don't necessarily need a new one. How about fixing the one you already have?

I don't know what's wrong with it. The iris still opens up when I switch the fan on, so it isn't totally dead - but I don't know exactly which part actually needs replacing.

I also read somewhere that for the sake of the cost of a new extractor it's best to just buy a new one than try and repair an old one?

Isolate the porter then try bypassing the timer module first. If you take the cover off (iris needs to be closed) you’ll see the cables going into some terminals and then the other side of that they connect to two more terminals. Remove the module and cables, then connect the live and neutral to the two remaining terminals. Make the switched live (could be marked as T, LS or SL) into a connector block to keep it safe. Turn the power back on. If it’s the timer module that’s gone it will work, if it’s the fan that has gone it won’t work

Isolate the porter then try bypassing the timer module first. If you take the cover off (iris needs to be closed) you’ll see the cables going into some terminals and then the other side of that they connect to two more terminals. Remove the module and cables, then connect the live and neutral to the two remaining terminals. Make the switched live (could be marked as T, LS or SL) into a connector block to keep it safe. Turn the power back on. If it’s the timer module that’s gone it will work, if it’s the fan that has gone it won’t work

Great, thanks - I'll have a go tomorrow! It'll be dark by the time I get back tonight!

I also read somewhere that for the sake of the cost of a new extractor it's best to just buy a new one than try and repair an old one?

That's the modern throw away society for you.

I was taught "Mending is better than ending."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back