Bathroom extractor fan advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So our bathroom extractor fan has packed in. It's an Airflow Loovent 01 - this one i think - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airflow-Loovent-100mm-Centrifugal-Timer/dp/B003DPIT7U

Any recommendations for replacing this with something cheaper? 70-odd quid seems a bit steep?

How about this for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Extra...371143207&sr=1-3&keywords=100mm+extractor+fan

Is it possible to get one that has the screw holes in the same place to make it much easier to install? Or would I have to buy an exact replacement?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If the existing is like the one linked to, it will likely have a transformer as that particular fan is allowed in zone one and runs off extra low voltage.

The second fan linked is low voltage, which in this case will be the domestic supply voltage and unlikely to be allowed in zone 1 of bathroom and should also be mounted at no less than 1800mm from floor.

As far as mounting holes, the only sure way of matching is by identical fan swap.

The new fan is detailed here

XF100 Series designed for wall mounting (pullcord version wall mounting only) through 100mm (4") diameter flexible or rigid pipes or Manrose low profile, flat channel ducting systems.

It does not stipulate the hole dimensions.

The old one does not give dimensions either but does say 110 mm dia hole new one says 115 - 155 mm dia so the hole may not be big enough.

But sure you can read as well as me.

Your existing fan is a centrifugal fan. The one you looking at is an axial fan.

Centrifugal fans are way more efficient than an axial. But cost more,as you have found.
Low cost axial fans can barely push air through a 9inch wall, so be prepared for a steamy, mouldy old bathroom.

And, indeed, it may not be suitable for the bathroom ZONE as detailed above.

Sponsored Links
OK I see, thank you for your help. After looking a little further I've found it a bit cheaper here (£55) : http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/airflow-01-263-p.asp

So I'm inclined to just get this to replace the old one like for like.

I'm assuming this will be reasonably easy, as it's a like for like replacement? Turn off power at the breaker box, remove the old one and fit the new one?

Thanks again for your help.

Well, you should have a fan isolator switch, but turn off all the power at the main switch if you don't.

Take photo of the connections before you take them off. It will help you later, believe me.

Whatever the volume of your bathroom, the fan should be able to change air eight times per hour.

sloth - take no notice of the above advice - 8 changes per hour is woefully inadequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back