VAT Number GB 273708486
Name SHENZHENSHI LIHUANKEJI YOUXIANGONGSI
Address 44 BROADWAY LONDON GREATER LONDON E15 1XH

GB
VAT Number GB 273708486
Name SHENZHENSHI LIHUANKEJI YOUXIANGONGSI
Address 44 BROADWAY LONDON GREATER LONDON E15 1XH
A bit late - see post #15 :)

There are 601 Limited Companies which have that as their registered address - but none bear that company name and, as has been said, no company with that name (or a name anything like it) is registed at Companies House.

I therefore can but assume that either it is not a limited company, and uses that address just for VAT registration purposes, or that the actual limited company has one of the 601 names, but with the VAT bei ng registered in terms of a trading name (as above) of that company.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo (character omission) corrected

Last edited:
They may be trading under a different name. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't have thought that 'someone' who was not a 'legal entity' in the UK (e.g. a UK resident person or a UK-registered Limited Company) could get a UK VAT number (it could, of course, be fake!).
Not only "could", they have to.

https://www.tmf-group.com/en/services/companies/accounting-tax/vat/country-profile/uk/

As for the address, there's probably a lawyer, or an accountant, or maybe just even a mailbox operation in the building somewhere.

upload_2018-3-20_20-20-5.png

Sponsored Links
Surely this one being sold in the UK must be tested to be allowed to be sold on Amazon UK?
Not a chance.

Anyone can sell anything on ebay or amazon - no checks whatsoever.
If something is proved to be dangerous them Amazon might remove it (as with those ridiculous 'hover board' things which set on fire when charged), but only after large numbers have been sold.
Ebay on the other hand couldn't care less - as evidenced from ebay being permanently stuffed full of unsafe, misdescribed, stolen, recalled, factory rejects and so on.

If you buy something from a seller based in China or any other country far away, you are the importer and you are legally responsible for the item and whatever happens to it and any damage that it might cause.

The VAT thing means nothing as above- it's the law.

Penalties for not paying taxes are far more severe than those for selling unsafe tat.

The VAT thing means nothing as above- it's the law.
Indeed - so it seems. I didn't realise that.
Penalties for not paying taxes are far more severe than those for selling unsafe tat.
That might be true (although there are significant penalties for 'selling unsafe tat', if only those laws were adequately policed and enforced).

However, the reason I previously thought that one probably had to be a 'legal entity' in the UK to be VAT registered (or 'registered' in relation to any other tax) is that it surely must be difficult to actually apply/enforce the 'severe penalties for not paying tax' to someone who (regardless of the address used for VAT registration) resides outside of UK jurisdiction?

Kind Regards, John

Maybe other countries in the EU take a less laissez-faire attitude to taxes. Once VAT registered in any EU country the entire trading bloc is open to you. Maybe it is less onerous for companies to register here than in other countries.

Although quite why I would imagine that this country turns a blind eye to tax and regulatory evasion I can't really say.

Anyway, I bought it and it has a GB implement standard certificate with it so I'm hoping it's ok.

One important question. When I put the switch in, the contact screws for the load and line were very close to the metal of the surround. It actually shorted my fuse box the first time I tested it. I moved it around a little and it's fine now. Is it safe to leave something like this?

... it has a GB implement standard certificate with it ...
What is that?
One important question. When I put the switch in, the contact screws for the load and line were very close to the metal of the surround. It actually shorted my fuse box the first time I tested it. I moved it around a little and it's fine now. Is it safe to leave something like this?
I don't think you really need us to tell you that what you describe doesn't sound at all 'safe'!

Kind Regards, John

What is that?
I don't think you really need us to tell you that what you describe doesn't sound at all 'safe'!

Kind Regards, John

It says that it passed whatever it is haha. Maybe it's a fake certificate?

I guess I was kinda asking how I would get around this? They aren't touching anymore. My surround/inset into the wall is quite small.

It says that it passed whatever it is haha. Maybe it's a fake certificate?
It certainly would not be the first time.
I guess I was kinda asking how I would get around this? They aren't touching anymore. My surround/inset into the wall is quite small.
If the 'contact screws' are dangerously close to the metal surround, I can't see what you could do short of 're-making' the thing. Do I take it that the metal surround is earthed (it certainly should be)?

Kind Regards, John

It certainly would not be the first time.
If the 'contact screws' are dangerously close to the metal surround, I can't see what you could do short of 're-making' the thing. Do I take it that the metal surround is earthed (it certainly should be)?

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, you could be right then.

If it shorted my fusebox it means it's earthed right?
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll ask an electrician to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back