Attachments

• IMG_20180320_134217 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180320_134217 (1).jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20180320_134224 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180320_134224 (1).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 293
Sponsored Links
One brown is the Live (L) and the other the Switched Live to the light (Load).
Not sure what the other two in the connector block are unless someone has used brown for the neutrals as well.

According to the information, the new switch will work with just the two wires.
It says on the back "All kinds of light" but I think, because there is no neutral connection, you will have to use an incandescent filament lamp.

One brown is the Live (L) and the other the Switched Live to the light (Load).
Not sure what the other two in the connector block are unless someone has used brown for the neutrals as well.

According to the information, the new switch will work with just the two wires.
It says on the back "All kinds of light" but I think, because there is no neutral connection, you will have to use an incandescent filament lamp.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Cool, so I guess it's important to know which brown is which when I wire the new one?

The other brown ones, I have no idea. It was a builder rather than electrician that did it, so I'm guessing that anything could have happened :S

Sponsored Links
Interesting one, that. It sounds as if it is probably a UK Limited Company (certainly has a UK VAT number) - so I wonder whether that brings them within the scope of UK/EU safety laws etc.?

I guess that I lot of things are made in China then sold under UK brands. That one just has more obvious company details.

I selected it has it doesn't has a shallow inset on the backplate which will fit my existing fitting.

I guess that I lot of things are made in China then sold under UK brands.
Indeed - most things are manufactured in China or other Asian places.

However, there's a big difference between a product which is designed by a reputable 'Western' country, with manufacturing sourced from China, and with the manufacturing/QC/testing (and the import into UK) overseen by that UK etc. company (who thereby 'become responsible'), and something designed, manufactured and exported to end customers by a Chinese company.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - most things are manufactured in China or other Asian places.

However, there's a big difference between a product which is designed by a reputable 'Western' country, with manufacturing sourced from China, and with the manufacturing/QC/testing (and the import into UK) overseen by that UK etc. company (who thereby 'become responsible'), and something designed, manufactured and exported to end customers by a Chinese company.

Kind Regards, John

Makes sense. Surely this one being sold in the UK must be tested to be allowed to be sold on Amazon UK?

Makes sense. Surely this one being sold in the UK must be tested to be allowed to be sold on Amazon UK?
I think others may have something to say about the policies of Amazon, eBay etc. as regards that!

As I said, it really depends upon exactly who is really selling it, and whether the place in the UK from where it would be despatched is actually under the control of a UK company (who have imported the products) or whether it is really just a warehouse which processes what are effectively individual imports by the end-buyer. If the latter, then it would probably be the buyer (e.g. you) who was responsible for the importation/quality/safety/certification etc. of the product - and, if it were not up to UK/EU standards, you could theoretically be liable for prosecution for importing an illegal product (although that will never happen).

Kind Regards, John

Edit - incorrect information posted

Last edited by a moderator:
But no trace of that name at Companies House
They may be trading under a different name. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't have thought that 'someone' who was not a 'legal entity' in the UK (e.g. a UK resident person or a UK-registered Limited Company) could get a UK VAT number (it could, of course, be fake!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back