recommendations for humdistat bathroom extractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know that what extractor I need will depend on the size of bathroom etc, and I will be able to work out extraction rates and the like.

But can any one recommend a good quality, reliable good value and preferably quiet humidistat extractor? I have had a quick google and there seems to be a massive variation in price so even recomendations for good manufacturers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd buy a ducted centrifugal fan and a separate humidistat. That way, you'll get the benefit of less noise (as you can mount the fan some distance from the vent), it'll look nicer, and you'll get better extraction rates than an axial fan thanks to higher static pressure.

Thanks Matthew,

You have pretty much just spoken a foreign language to me, so I'mm off too google these things you mention!

Cheers for the recommendation.

DM

ETA:
just found this:

http://www.vent-axia.com/product/vent-axia-solo-htp-humiditytimer.html

is this the sort of thing you mean? would it be cheaper to buy the fan and humidistat cheaper?

We have 2 external walls in our bathroom so fixing an extractor that just goes straight out is not a problem, is the benfit that we can have the fan on the outside of the wall rather than the inside?

I must confess I have never even thought about extractors before, let alone looked into specific features, so a steep learning curve!

Finaly ( :rolleyes: ) can you recommend any good brands/manufacturers, or name any I should steer clear of?

Cheers! :mrgreen:

ETA:
just found this:

http://www.vent-axia.com/product/vent-axia-solo-htp-humiditytimer.html

is this the sort of thing you mean? would it be cheaper to buy the fan and humidistat cheaper?

We have 2 external walls in our bathroom so fixing an extractor that just goes straight out is not a problem, is the benfit that we can have the fan on the outside of the wall rather than the inside?

I was thinking more alone the lines of an inline centrifugal fan that sits between two pieces of duct, then comes out via a grille in the bathroom ceiling. However, if you would prefer to mount it on an external wall, a duct fan isn't going to be much use to you.

The fan you've linked to will do the job. Xpelair and Vent Axia are both recognised brands, although if you want something that looks nice, you might want to look at the Icon range of extractor fans.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Matthew,

Will check out those ranges and have a chat with the other half (probably more able to work out what sort of fitting will suit us best).

Thanks for the help.

Hi,
I was looking for a humidistat for my bathroom a while back and bought the cheapest one that Toolstation had. It cost around £12 and was a waste of time. The time and humidity dials just didn't work properly and it was either on or off but always at the wrong time and entirely impossible to understand. I found it virtually useless.
So I replaced it with one from screwfix, a bit more expensive but still cheap: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15722/Heating-and-Ventilation/Extractor-Fans/Manrose-Humidistat-Fan-4
This one doesn't have a time dial, just humidity, but if humidity is the concern then surely time isn't that relevant. I find that it works fineand is not too noisy either.

I'm sure you can get ones with better controls and better capacity per second extraction but if you want something cheap that does the job, this one is perfectly good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back