Bathroom extractor took out light - best way forward?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the bathroom the other day and the light didn't work and the extractor wasn't running. Discovered that one of the bulbs in the light (G24q type) had literally blown. I reckon the extractor blew in some way, and that took out the lights - but didn't trip the lighting circuit.

I've removed the extractor and replaced the bulbs and the light now works. Have just looked in the loft and there's no sign of a fuse as stipulated on the fan instructions. I can just replace the fan, but history could repeat itself.

I'd welcome suggestions on how the light/fan combination should be set up. I'm thinking since it's a bathroom I need a professional, but would like some idea of what's needed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wire the fan to a plug and see if it works.

Took a couple of days to get round to this but have just wired the fan to a plug and switched on. There's a click, like a relay, but nothing else and definitely not a working fan. It didn't blow the 3A fuse in the plug or trip the consumer unit so I guess it's not shorting.

So, new fan needed, and suggestions for wiring with fuses/RCDs etc welcome.

Took a couple of days to get round to this but have just wired the fan to a plug and switched on. There's a click, like a relay, but nothing else and definitely not a working fan.
Do I take it that you have tried cleaning out any obvious muck and giving the fan blade a little shove (it could just be 'stuck')?

If, by any chance, the fan/light is a 'timer' one with an 'over-run', then 'wiring it to a plug' might not be totally straightforward - is that what you have?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yup, fan moves no problem, no build up of anything. I wired it to the plug exactly as it was wired into the duct - just the live and neutral cable going in.

Yup, fan moves no problem, no build up of anything. I wired it to the plug exactly as it was wired into the duct - just the live and neutral cable going in.
OK - they were just thoughts, in case you might be able to avoid getting a new one!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back