bathroom Extractor tube exiting through roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light in my bathroom with an extractor surround. Above it in the loft the tube from the extractor travels approx 3 feet horizontally then takes a right angle up through a roof vent.

Is it possible that water can enter this vent and travel into the bathroom. I went on holiday with the bathroom closed up and the bathroom was heavily affected by moisture damage although I have had two independant people to look at the bathroom and they can find no water leaks

Im at a loss, can anybody help?

Unfortunately the insurance company has refused to pay out and therefore I have so far a £500.00 repair bill

Sponsored Links
Yes water can, in certain circumstances, enter the duct via the roof terminal, but it would then exit via the fan inlet and would be obvious as to the cause

The duct can also experience condensation within it and this can drip back down. But again obvious

If your bathroom was really "heavily affected by moisture damage" then the likely causes should be easy to determine - ie penetrating or condensation dampness

Well I always said it was condensation as the room was left closed with the towel rail coming on twice a day. Moisture damaged the door and the MDF bath panel and the wall downstairs below the bathroom but everybody seems to think this can't happen.

The insurance company called it a environmental issue and guess what I'm not covered , thats a shock isn't it!

Firstly, consider fitting a humidistat to the fan so that it comes on automatically as necessary

Check your policy to see exactly what risks are covered, and then raise a dispute if necessary. I'm not sure if the cause fits better into an "environmental issue" (whatever that means) than it would into "accidental damage"

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the insurance company followed the procedure of 'you are guilty now prove you are innocent ' of course I may not have helped the situation by calling Groupama scum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back