Bathroom Fan Activation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody wired a bathroom timer fan without using the light switch to activate the fan ? I want to install a timer fan but have it activated by a retractable switch so the fan only runs when wanted. It is very annoying to have the fan running every time someone pops into the bathroom - only really need the fan to clear the steam after a shower.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's plenty of options for what you want, but it all depends on your current setup and/or what your willing to have done. Do you have a fan at the moment? Does you have a permanent live, switched live or both? Is this a ceiling or wall fan? Do you also have a fan isolator switch?

Like I say there's plenty of options from basic fans with a pull cord to switch on/off, to timers + humidistats etc...

What sort of shower have you got? There's always a way to trigger the fan by turning the shower on.

Sponsored Links
I have fan that comes on when the humidity reaches a certain level. I also have a pull cord switch near to the WC that I can turn on, then off so that it runs for a preset time to, ahem, clear the air if needs be. Can't see the point of having it wired to the light - all you do is extract heat from the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back