Shower on pull-switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing as a shower on pull switch that's "momentary" - i.e it switches on whilst pulled but disconnects when released. Or can you modify pull switches ?
I want to operate a timer extracter fan when the swittch is pulled as we only need the fan when someone uses the shower. The fan will latch on and stay on until its timer runs out.

Don't want the fan operating via the light every time someone goes into the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
why not get a fan with a humdistat? (if thats how its spelt)

An IP rated PIR in the ceiling?

And no, the item you speak of doesn't exist. :LOL:

However, there is such a thing as a momentary push wall switch. Sometimes used for doorbells, door releases, special lighting circuits, the circuit is made when pushed, and it springs back when released, breaking the circuit. Looks like a normal switch.

No use for you though.

One member on here had an ingenious solution involving a relay. He took the output from the shower switch into a box with a contactor. The contactor then controlled a fan which was supplied from the lighting circuit. (A relay/contactor uses one circuit to switch another without the two circuits being electrically linked)

Ban all sheds, could you possibly post your photos again?

Sponsored Links
Isn't what the OP wants just one of those timer fans; but instead of wiring it to the light, he should wire it to the shower switch?

Apart from the wiring practicalities, like FCU, and 3 pole switch it should be straight forward.

hmmm two 10mm cables (1 in and one to FCU) i dont think so, but no doubt some plonker will solve the problem by using a smaller cable

a smaller cable from a shower cable is a very bad idea

Well the regs say you can use a smaller wire if the fuse is within 3m. Sorry can't remember the reg number.

But fair enough, maybe not very practical, though technically it's what's required.

reg doesnt matter, its physically impossible (assuming you used an FCU)

Ban all sheds, could you possibly post your photos again?
. .
. .
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20386
. .
. .
. .
Still going strong, 3-4 years on :D

Still no warning notice about multiple circuits in the enclosure :oops:

dal5band - another solution, if you can get at the plumbing, is to install a flow-switch in the supply pipe, then the fan will come on when the shower does, not only when someone remembers...

"Care should be taken to avoid extremes of adjustment
which would allow the control spring to be over compressed or disengaged."

I would much have preferred "Care was taken in the design of this product to limit the adjustment range so that the control spring cannot become over compressed or disengaged at the extremes."

Where did they find their product engineers - Mattel? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks guys - Currently I have a fan with a pull switch (part of the fan) but when switched on it usually runs for several hours until somebody remembers to switch it off. Sounds like humidistat fan is the best or possibly a timer fan with a bell switch outside (with a fan symbol stuck on it !!!). :rolleyes:

Cheers !!

btw The shower circuit is a low voltage power shower (Showerforce2000)- this is a wall mounted all in one unit so can't really take any outputs from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back