Momentary pull switch for bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have my bathroom fan on it's own separate pull switch, but other family members keep forgetting to switch it off, even though there is a neon in the base of the switch. The fan has a timer, and I was thinking of replacing it's switch with a momentary pull switch and having the timer set for about 10 minutes so that the fan would run and always switch off.

Would this work? I presume the fan timer circuit would get enough of a kick from the momentary switch for it to work. I realise that the fan would switch off before the end of a long soak in the bath but this would be preferable to having the fan on all day. Would this be notifiable? It is a replacement for the switch but it's still a switch (if you see what I mean).

Alternatively, any ideas for "educating" my family?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have my bathroom fan on it's own separate pull switch, but other family members keep forgetting to switch it off, even though there is a neon in the base of the switch. The fan has a timer, and I was thinking of replacing it's switch with a momentary pull switch and having the timer set for about 10 minutes so that the fan would run and always switch off.
Would this work? I presume the fan timer circuit would get enough of a kick from the momentary switch for it to work. I realise that the fan would switch off before the end of a long soak in the bath but this would be preferable to having the fan on all day. Would this be notifiable? It is a replacement for the switch but it's still a switch (if you see what I mean).
Yes, that would work, provided that the fan has a 'continuous live' as well as 'switched live' going to it (i.e. is fed by a 3 core + earth cable) - which may well not be the case if you're currently using it non-timed. Changing the cable would, unfortunately, probably be theoretically notifiable.

As for the other matter, I share your view that 'a switch is a switch' - but that theoretically becomes a bit moot if new cabling is required.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The solution is simple.

MAKE the members of the family remember to turn the fan off.

Ask nicely, ask rudely, fine them, bribe them, offer incentives, shout at them, scream the house down; but get them into the habit of turning the fan off.

My family never needed to carry out similar alterations - I got asked nicely, and then yelled at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back