Timer fan control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of the usual bathroom fan control via the light switch, I want an independent switch to turn on a fan with timer. I envisage a momentary pull switch that kicks the fan into action; the fan then runs on its timer circuit. The momentary pull switch being one which only connects when being pulled but off when released.
Any comments ? And suggestions for pull switch.

Sponsored Links
Instead of the usual bathroom fan control via the light switch, I want an independent switch to turn on a fan with timer. I envisage a momentary pull switch that kicks the fan into action; the fan then runs on its timer circuit. The momentary pull switch being one which only connects when being pulled but off when released.
Any comments ?

That will work, just connect the S/L terminal, to a momentary pull switch, wired between S/L and permanent live of the fan.

I have been looking for "momentary" or "retractive" pull switch but cannot find one? I have seen them in hospital bathrooms as alarm switches with a red cord. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I have been looking for "momentary" or "retractive" pull switch but cannot find one? I have seen them in hospital bathrooms as alarm switches with a red cord. Any ideas ?

A partial tug on a normal switch will do that, but you could always give it two tugs. The electricians in the forum, might be able to supply a pointer, to a momentary pull switch.

Thanks all. I'll try to find the MK3190 or just use an ordinary switch.
Basically I want to avoid the fan coming on every time someone pops in the bathroom. Also it avoids the three pole isolation switch which confuses everyone.
Bathroom refit due next Jan by trade.

. Also it avoids the three pole isolation switch which confuses everyone.
It makes no difference as far as a three pole switch is concerned.

You can avoid that by not fitting one. It is not a requirement in the regulations.

Basically I want to avoid the fan coming on every time someone pops in the bathroom. Also it avoids the three pole isolation switch which confuses everyone.
Bathroom refit due next Jan by trade.

Nothing much wrong with the idea, of the fan coming on every time someone goes in. Usually it will be needed anyway, and using a switch, the user needs to remember to turn it on - most often, people will forget/will not bother.

A PIR works best, second best is using the light as a trigger, but that might not be turned on during the day. Manual switching is the final, worst option.

A simple pneumatic push switch used as you leave is likely the best option, I know with mothers wet room having the fan on while having a shower was rather cold, better using it as we leave, but can people be trained to use it as they leave?

A simple pneumatic push switch used as you leave is likely the best option, I know with mothers wet room having the fan on while having a shower was rather cold, better using it as we leave, but can people be trained to use it as they leave?

I would suggest - generally no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back