Will it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm wanting to install a humidistat fan with timer.
What I want to happen is, the fan comes on via one pull cord controlling the light and the fan.
I also want to be able to turn the fan off seperately.
If I buy a fan with it's own pull cord will that be possible, ie, leave the fan pull cord in the on position so the fan is live when the light switch is pulled then pull the fan cord and if the humidity is low the fan will switch off?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Fans with timers or connected to humidistats will require a permanent live and a switched live to do what you want. You also want a fan isolator in order to turn off the fan manually under any condition. Is this to replace an existing fan?

You/an electrician need to find out what wiring needs to be changed/added in order to do what you want though.

I'm wanting to install a humidistat fan with timer.
What I want to happen is, the fan comes on via one pull cord controlling the light and the fan.
I also want to be able to turn the fan off seperately.
If I buy a fan with it's own pull cord will that be possible, ie, leave the fan pull cord in the on position so the fan is live when the light switch is pulled then pull the fan cord and if the humidity is low the fan will switch off?

Possibly not, no. But different fans will work differently.
I bought a humidistat+timer+pull-cord fan, and its pull cord can only be used to turn it on, not to make it go off when it has come on due to humidity or timer. So in this case you'd need an additional external switch on the permanent live to turn it off - but that wouldn't be ideal with my fan as it comes on for a few seconds (to calibrate itself, apparently) when the permanent live is reconnected.
You'll need to get the instructions for some candidate fans and see what they say.

Why do you want a humidistat?

I bought a humidistat+timer+pull-cord fan, and its pull cord can only be used to turn it on, not to make it go off when it has come on due to humidity or timer.
Well, it will go off after the timer has run - and when humidity is low enough which is what OP said he wanted.

I think he/they will get confused/irritated with the two switches - not knowing how the last person left it.

Sponsored Links
Hi
What your trying to do is a little
Complicated and even if you set it up to function as you want it, you probably won't use it as you've set it up anyway. I would suggest a vent Axia svara, it doesn't have a pull cord, it it does have Bluetooth connectivity and has all the functions you could dream of in a bathroom can, and is a lot of fun to play with, pricy but search vent axia svara on eBay for a bargain and enjoy, bet you never thought bathroom fans could be this much fun

What your trying to do is a little Complicated
Not really, this is pretty basic stuff for fans with perm & switched live and with a fan isolator. What is complicated is having a fan with Bluetooth controlled from your phone which is will be used very infrequently. It sounds like a gimmick really with little benefits over tried and tested existing methods.

I looked at the Bluetooth functions and they offer very little functionality for daily/weekly use compared to an isolator switch. Just a lot more to go wrong and the fact you have to take an electronic device to the bathroom or within reach before your able to change a setting just seems inconvenient.

You don't happen to be selling Vent Axia Svaras on eBay do you, "fan man"? Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the forum.

You fit the fan you set it up - if you don't feel the setup is working for you your change the set up. The fan answers all the questions asked and gives the functionality asked - no it's not an electrical solution but it's the simplest solution imo. Gimmick today norm tomorrow. A question is asked and I give an answer not the same as
Most but an answer, how much fun is a switched live but gimmicky Bluetooth connectivity is cool

There's a lot of people selling these fans on eBay or you can buy direct from vent axia or any of their distributors, I'm here to free independent advise, personally I think humidistats are a waste of time, but if someone wants one I'll try and help

personally I think humidistats are a waste of time
You aren't the only one, mate!

People don't think too much about the environment. If I look at my weather app, the humidity for today is 77%. I'd be wanting my fan to kick in at a level below that to reduce the steamy in my bathroom, but then the fan would be running all day, while it tries to dry out the whole of the UK.

Use a quality timer fan with a good long over-run, make sure the air flow is correct and not constricted on output and input. Then you may get a level of success.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more Taylor, only thing I would add is don't get too worried about the timer length if the fan is wired into your lights most people don't instantly leave the bathroom as soon as they finish the shower meaning most of the moisture / humidity is gone by the time you've left the room so 5-10 mins should be all you need, but as you say the right airflow is key, most people select based on building regs we say building regs min or 10 air changes an hour whichever is the higher

The svara fan is another example of a solution looking for a problem.

Vent Axia -makes a 'low carbon' fan to save energy, then ensures that by default it runs continuously 24 hours a day to use as much energy as possible.
http://www.vent-axia.com/files/pdf-downloads/Lo-Carbon Svara.pdf

The app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.ventaxia.connect&hl=en_GB
has mediocre reviews and fewer than 1000 installs - no one is using it.

The Apple device version: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vent-axia-connect/id1077799767?mt=8
2 poor reviews and no info on how many people have installed it.

Aren't the Building Regulations also concerned with smell?
So, only one complete air change needed - but difficult to achieve with air flow from door to fan, depending on location.
Blanket requirements are never very satisfactory.

Unless there are other more fundamental problems with the property, then, as far as steam and condensation are concerned, a fan is not necessary.

Sorry should have been clearer, I'm talking about building reg part f which includes bathrooms, advises a min level of 15l/s which for Most sized bathrooms is well below our suggested 10 air changes.
As for continuous extract part f address it and the industry uses continuous in places
Like student accommodation, as to why it's a default for vent axia I guess we would have to ask them, but it is only the default easily changed to on and off, not read the reviews so can't comment, what I do know is it's a new product and gave all the functionality requested by the original question. I'll ask vent axia for the sales numbers and general feedback / returns (I know a guy) and come back to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back