bathroom fan advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to install a extractor fan above my shower cubicle and would appreciate some advice from professionals.

My bathroom is very small approx 2m x 2m it is ground floor so ducting will go under landing floorboards and a 1/2m run to external wall.
The fan will be wired with a normal plug and plugged into a normal socket in a bedroom above and the wire will be broken with a pullcord which will be fixed in the bathroom.

I was wondering best type of fan for location and size - does the ceiling / reach have to be a certain height and if this is notifiable work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a bit unorthodox Steve - usually the fan would have its own fused spur (if no internal fuse) if possible, and run from the lighting circuit.
However, fuse it at 3A anyway.
I'll leave the legalities to someone else!
For recommendation, I've found the Manrose range very good.
John :)

Thanks John - the socket is only 1m away and will make the power source very convenient. Hopefully someone will let me know if my plan is notifiable.
I will check the manrose range

Cheers
Steve

I would suggest taking a spur from the upstairs socket, and next to the ceiling pull switch you will install, fit a fuse plate, and downrate to 3amps.

If the socket you will spur from isn't RCD protected, install an RCD FCU instead on a fuse plate.

This will be a whole lot more professional, and remove the risk of someone turning off the socket upstairs, causing naked running upstairs!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Phatboy
Sorry, could you explain what a an RCD FCU on a fuse plate is I know the FCU but not too sure how in put a RCD on it and not really sure what a fuse plate looks like.

Cheers
Steve

Aah... the power breaker looks like the job. Where would be the best place to site this do you think? The socket I am using is low down in a built in wardrobe and is never used.

Also, would you know if this is notifiable?

cheers

I would put it on the ceiling of the bathroom, or ideally high up on the wall if possible. This is assuming its outside of Zone 1 and 2: http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/usermods/new/bathroom-zones.jpg
If its outside zone 1 and 2 it won't be notifiable.

Even better if it can be outside the bathroom high up on the wall.

If you fit the fan above the shower though, thats notifiable unless its more than 2.25m above the show er cubicle base level. If it isn't, you would need an inline fan in the loft with a duct to the vent position above the shower

Hi, sorry been away... Thanks for your replies.

It is 2.4m above the cubicle and this would be the ideal place for me as anywhere else on the ceiling and I will be hitting central heating pipes under the floorboards upstairs ( downstairs bathroom) and it will only be a 1/2 metre run to outside wall. So I would be ok to fit this without notification?

Ban-all-sheds -There is no RCD protection (old fuse board) but I will be getting a new comsumer unit fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back