Bathroom fan fitted by cowboy...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some rectification work doing on the exhaust for my bathroom fan. The ducting my electrician used is cheap bendy plastic. There are two different pieces tied together, lots of kinks in it and even some leakage near the joint. It is not insulated. The duct terminates at the soffit, there is a little grille facing down outside from the soffit/gutter.

I've attached a picture from the attic.

I've been looking into this because winter having come I've been getting lots of water pooling near the window and all over the ceiling. The fan is an ICON-15 (76 m3/hr , ductable up to 4 metres). The bathroom is 12m3. I normally leave the fan on for 20 minutes after having a shower.... but when I get home from work (water water everywhere...)

I've unplugged the duct and immediately I can tell that it is louder and giving more suction.... so until I get this fixed properly I'm blowing water into my loft which is not clever.

My research tells me I should get a rigid duct, preferably lagged and it should be in a straight line. What I'm not too sure about is the best place to terminate it. I've read conflicting reports. Is it ever okay to vent through the soffit grille as it currently is? I keep reading that this pumps it back into the attic anyway. Am I best going straight up in a vertical line and through a roof tile?

What kind of tradesmen would you get to do the job? (Definitely not the electrician that did it the first time)

thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I would be looking to upgrade the fan to a minimum standard 85m3/hr.

Soffit venting is acceptable though the flexi pipe should be as straight as possible without joints and wrapped in insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back