Bathroom fan heater replacement no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my dimplex fan heater broke and I bought a cheaper model from Argos. The dimplex one was wired up through a fused spur with a pull switch and earthed. The new one doesn't have an earth.

Is it ok to wire up the new one with live and neutral only and tape up the earth, because there is nowhere to attach it to?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Assuming teh heater is marked with a square within a square, denoting it is double-insulated, and assuming the manufacturer's information says it is suitable for bathrooms, then yes. Is the new one doesn't have a pull cord then it won't be bathroom-suitable.

PJ

Thanks for the reply.

It does have a square within a square and a pull switch, in addition there is a ceiling pull switch that turns the fused spur on and off. It is a Winterwarm WWDF20 2 KW bathroom fan heater.

It is fitted with a 2 core mains cable, but I have the old 3 core mains cable coming out of the tiled wall.

I was planning on removing the 2 core mains cable from the heater, attaching the old cable (live and neutral) from the wall to the heater. It's the earth wire I'm concerned about - should I tape it up or put in a connector box and tape up and is it ok to do that?

Just to clarify - when I said 3 core mains cable I meant live neutral and earth - not sure about the terminology.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Put a connector block on the end of the earth wire. Don't cut it off in case it's needed next time the heater is changed - just make sure there is no bare copper waving around which could cause a short.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back