Electric heater in bathroom - Fuse, earth and bouding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a electric heater Dimplex PLX in my bathroom (Zone3) and need some help:

1- Should it be protected by MCB or RCB?

2- I have a 3-core cable going from this heater to the consumer unit.
The notice provided by Dimplex says that the earth wire of the flex coming out of the convector can be used for bouding.
Also, I have just read on the web that "The bounding cable should not be taken back to the main fuseboard or consumer unit as this can be dangerous."
So, my questions are:
- how i should connect the earth wire of this heater?
- how should i bound this heater?
- where should i connect my bathroom bounding wire to ?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Regards

Sponsored Links
The earth of the heater should go to the earth wire (CPC) of the circuit that feeds it. RCD protection in addition to a fuse or MCB is not a legal requirement, but a very good idea. The CPCs of all circuits that enter the bathroom should be cross bonded to all metal pipes that may be touched, or whose fittings may be touched .
There is link to a nice picture of all this in the for reference section.
Note it is NOT desirable to run an additional earth from the pipes in the bathroom to the main earth, as under fault conditions this can cause large voltage gradients to be present in the bathroom. The CPCs of the supplying circuits, in conjunction to X bonding to main earth where water and gas services enter the building, are necesarry and sufficient for that.
Suggest a browse of the 'for reference'and come back if you have any outstanding queries.
regards M.

I am either tick or it is too early in the day :cry:
Where is this "For reference" section please?
Thanks

the post that always stays 'stuck' to the top of the forum. Its a rather long mixed bag now, and probably could do with a tidy up, but certainlyworth mining for info.
M.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back