Bathroom fan isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some expert advice.

We moved on to a new development and apart from not having a Part P Certificate due to there being no earth bonding in the kitchen or bathrooms I've noticed that the isolation switch for the bathroom fans in our home is above the door on the inside wall and in other homes its above the door on the outside wall. There is also a ceiling pull cord switch in each room that operates the lights and fan.

Which isolation switch is in the correct position.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Bill

When you say new, do you mean a property post 2005 and inside PArt P cert regs?

If so contact the builders and ask them back to finish the job and sort out the cert.

Re: fan isolation, switch is normally placed outside room above door. Inside might be ok depending on bathroom size and zone issues. Look in the Wiki for details on bathrooms and the zones.

If your feeling unsettled about the general standard of the electrics I'd suggest paying for a periodic inspection report from a neutral firm and supply that as evidence to the original builders and there contractor.

About £200 and provided it indicates a host of issues, a cost that should be easily recovered from the builders.

Thanks Chris,

The property is just 2 years old (March this year) and we are currently going through litigation. We've had experts reporting on the general property and the structure and this is something we should have given a higher pirority but to get a Part P certificate the new contractor will have to carry out a full electrical safety check.

I'll look into the points you've raised.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Apart from the electrical and structural problems we have Corgi issued a prohibition notice on our cooker and gas boiler because they were installed by the builder's son who wasn't corgi registered and it was one of the longest reports the inspector has ever written. BG renewed the pipework and installed a new boiler plus controls but their electrician couldn't issue a part P certificate for his work because he couldn't find any earth bonding in the kitchen or bathrooms.

By the way I've checked the zone issues in the bathrooms and one is legal and the other not.

Regards,

Bill

BG renewed the pipework and installed a new boiler plus controls but their electrician couldn't issue a part P certificate for his work because he couldn't find any earth bonding in the kitchen

Is the incoming water feed in the kitchen then?

Sean,

The incoming water supply enters our home via the en-suite which is directly behind the kitchen wall. If you look around the bathroom and en-suite there is no visible earth wires on any pipes or radiators.

Regards,

Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back