Bathroom Fan Isolator switch?

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing to have a humidistat fan installed in the bathroom. Does it require a 3-pole isolator switch?

If so... is it acceptable to have this switch in an airing cupboard next to the bathroom? or does it have to be above the bathroom door?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It needs a permanent live so best to have a three pole switch, it can go in an Airing cupboard.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hpd
BTW When you do fit Humidstats they often need turning to a less sensitive setting otherwise they can stay on for way too long.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hpd
Sponsored Links
No, local isolator is not required but often fitted.

as it makes it easy to turn off a fan that insists on running all night ( faulty ) and still have lights that work.

Winston would isolate the defective fan by turning OFF the circuit breaker in the consumer unit and using a torch to see to brush his teeth

as it makes it easy to turn off a fan that insists on running all night ( faulty ) and still have lights that work.

Winston would isolate the defective fan by turning OFF the circuit breaker in the consumer unit and using a torch to see to brush his teeth
No, if there was no local isolator you turn it off at the CU, disconnect the fan, switch CU back on, brush teeth. Simples!

you mean "not compulsory by law"

which is not the same as

"not required by a sensible person."
The question was: "Does it require a 3-pole isolator switch".

The answer was: "No, local isolator is not required but often fitted."

I think that covers your snide comments.

It would (make it easy to turn off just the fan) but I have to say that in all the years/decades that I have lived with multiple fans I don't think I can recall the timer of any of them ever having 'failed' in the manner you mention - so I don't think that it is particularly common occurrence.

Kind Regards, John

The question was: "Does it require a 3-pole isolator switch".

The answer was: "No, local isolator is not required but often fitted."

I think that covers your snide comments.

The appliance is not sentient, so it is not aware of its own needs.

You can only mean "does any person require an isolator"

And you are not in a position to answer that question.

Snide.

It would (make it easy to turn off just the fan) but I have to say that in all the years/decades that I have lived with multiple fans I don't think I can recall the timer of any of them ever having 'failed' in the manner you mention - so I don't think that it is particularly common occurrence.

Kind Regards, John

I sometimes like to clean the dust out and wipe the duct.

I prefer not to do it in the dark, nor when working round a live appliance.

A switch is useful for that.

I love it when I turn up to replace a faulty extractor fan and there’s an isolator present so I don’t have to work by torch light.

I don’t know of an electrician who wouldn’t install one.

I sometimes like to clean the dust out and wipe the duct. ... I prefer not to do it in the dark, nor when working round a live appliance.
I love it when I turn up to replace a faulty extractor fan and there’s an isolator present so I don’t have to work by torch light.
Both valid points, IF it is a bathroom without a window. In other (I would think much more common) situations, is it really often necessary to clean the dust out of an extractor, or replace a faulty one, during the hours of darkness?

Don't get me wrong, I also nearly always fit them, myself (despite all my bathrooms having windows), but would not be able to find a very compelling justification, if challenged. After all, at least in my experience, the sort of scenarios you mention which would require me to operate such a switch/isolator only usually arise 'once every few years' for each fan.

Kind Regards, John

It was dark outside before I finished work today, and silly little jobs like swapping a fan are normally done on the “way home” from the main job of the day.

A common use of the fan isolator I see is when fans have gone noisy and the residents are kept awake by someone nipping for a 3am wee and the fan running on for 20 mins.

I can’t think of a single reason why you would want to not have a fan isolator even if it only gets used once every 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back