Bathroom Fan Isolation Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised that the Bathroom Fan Isolation Switch should be installed outside the bathroom at 'normal' switch height (next to the light switch).

However, I see a lot of properties / new developments that put the switch above the bathroom door.

- Has a new buildng reg stated that these switches now need to be a certain height?
- When was this introduced?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any need for them to be at 450-1200mm they are for maintainance, a disabled person is hardly going to be cleaning the fan... :LOL:

They should howver be in sight of the person cleaning the fan or being capable of being locked in the off position, so if you put it above the door, make sure its a lockable one :)

Are you familiar with part P of the building regulations?

It's not me doing the work.

My contractors electrician advised that it needed to be within the 450-1200mm height.

I wanted to double check as I don't think it looks good at all. I would much rather have the switch above the door if within the regs.

RichA said:
My contractors electrician advised that it needed to be within the 450-1200mm height.

I wanted to double check as I don't think it looks good at all. I would much rather have the switch above the door if within the regs.
Stick to your guns - there's no requirement for it to be where he says. I have to say - he displays a lamentable lack of understanding of the regs - the heights he mentions are guidelines only, and only for sockets and light switches in rooms that could be used by someone disabled, and only apply to new builds and refurbishments.

Oh - and whilst the bit about locking is theoretically true, it's not a hanging offence not to bother in a domestic bathroom...

Sponsored Links
The extractor is in an ensuite shower room is an upstairs flat which I am refurbing.

It sounds like above the door will be fine.

Many thanks for the advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back