Fan isolators in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I put a fan isolator in a bathroom when the regs say that there must be no switches in a bathroom that are not the pullcord/waterproof type?

Sponsored Links
Whereabouts do you want to put it?

The regs don't say anything about switches having to be waterproof or a pull-cord - switches must be in Zone 3 or beyond, in Zones 0 - 2 they are not allowed at all, no matter what type they are.

Hi,

Answers within this subject abound hereabouts, try a search.

Simple answer, put it outside the bathroom, in the loft, near the fan itself is best.

I am sure the experts will descend.

P

I shall descend...

Not in loft - not convenient for isolating.

Yes, can be near fan as long as it (the switch) is in zone 3..outside is fine, too.

BUT... there is a three pole pull cord isolator available, made by Ashley Rock.

Maybe this final option will be the cheapest/least disruptive.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Not in loft - not convenient for isolating.

Mine's in the loft, precisely because it is the most convenient point for isolating for maintenance. and gaining access to the fan itself. Obviously it depends on your installation and whether or not you perceive the need for emergency isolation.

OK maybe I should amend that to only in loft if you have a fan in loft ie in line duct.....

The Regs state the isolator for a fan should be local to it at the point most accessible for maintenance purposes, so it's actual location is a moot point.

Sorry AndyP, you may have a wall mounted extractor.

Could still have a SFCU outside the bathroom, would this suffice as an isolator if double pole, and the root of all power to fan?
ie If a timed over-run fan then if both switched live, permanent live and neutral originate from the FCU ... would that be seen as reasonable practice?

P

Yes, OK, provided it is either lockable, or you hire a man from NICEIC with a red flag to stand in front of it when it is turned off for maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back