Bathroom Fan & Light Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a good electrician do some extra sockets, lights and a new consumer unit in our old house so everything is up to standard. Can't get hold of the guy for a couple of weeks and need to make provision for cabling in some stud walling I'm doing so it's ready for him.

I need to know by the book how a new light and new fan with overrun timer, fan to come on with light, would be wired in a small downstairs cloakroom with just a toilet.

It is in a single story so in the loft above he will have easy access to both lighting and ring main circuits which run in there.

Sponsored Links
You're going to have to wait for him, I'm afraid.

He will have to certify that he did all the work and that it complies with all the regulations, so presenting him with cables already installed on the basis of advice from an internet forum and expecting him to issue that certification is a non-starter.

Ahh sorry what I meant was leaving noggins out or leaving cutouts in them when I'm doing the stud wall so making sure he has a route free of obstructions to pull the cables through if there need to be wall switches. I wasn't going to fit the cables. If the switches could be ceiling mounted then I don't need to make any provision.

Just a rough idea of how the fan/lamp/switch get connected would have been fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that diagram explains it. I get him to put the light switch in the wall as that's just one cable and I'd like the 3-pole switch to isolate the fan to be a ceiling pull type so all the wire/conns will be in the loft... but I can't find that they make them. Will the electrician be able to get one at his supplier?

Or just have a plasterboard back-box on the ceiling and a regular fan isolation switch - you don't really need a cord dangling down for it.

>>>Or just have a plasterboard back-box on the ceiling and a regular fan isolation switch - you don't really need a cord dangling down for it

Excellent, that'll be even neater. Thanks for the guidance.

Bear in mind that the Manufacturers Instructions for your chosen fan may require overload protection via a 1A or 3A fuse so you may need to make provision for a fused spur.

What type of fan will you be using? A wall fan or an inline fan located in the (accessible?) loft?

In that case, why don't you fit your isolation switch in the loft by the side of the fan? It'll save it looking out of place on the ceiling.

OK he can take that option if it's allowable. Not too worried by a switch showing in the ceiling though as the cubicle already has a gas boiler and associated switches/controls.

It's fine as the isolation switch is for maintenance reasons.
For that purpose it would be ideal to have the switch by the side of the item you're maintaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back