Bathroom fan venting through eaves - does it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

For reasons I won't go into, I have lost the extractor fan in my bathroom and now the only place it could go is in the ceiling above the shower, with the ducting running through the loft and outside under the eaves. I'm a bit worried that this won't be very effective as the ducting will be squashed under the eaves.

Any thoughts?

SB

Sponsored Links
sparkybird said:
Hi everyone

For reasons I won't go into, I have lost the extractor fan in my bathroom
Oh come on now, it must be there somewhere - you're just not looking hard enough! :D

sparkybird said:
and now the only place it could go is in the ceiling above the shower, with the ducting running through the loft and outside under the eaves. I'm a bit worried that this won't be very effective as the ducting will be squashed under the eaves.
It shouldn't be squashed much - is there insulation closing the gap? If so you need to make a gap in it for the duct. As long as the duct isn't narrowed below a couple of inches, it should work fine. Remember that the vent-grille restricts the area to about half of that of an open pipe, so your squashing isn't going to be critical unless it's *really* closed up!

Is the fan in-duct or in the ceiling mounting? If the latter I think it needs to be SELV if it's over a shower.

Cheers,

Howard

Howard - thanks for reply.

I was assuming the ceiling was in zone 3 so it needn't be SELV, but will check measurements - good point!

Ta
SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back