Alternatives to Inline Extraction Fan in En Suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently decorating and have started on the en suite, the shower section of which has been used for storage/bedroom overspill for the last year or so as the shower wasn't worth the hassle using

Basically it's quite a small room, located between the main bathroom and the main bedroom so internal walls on 3 sides and the external wall has the toilet and a window.

An in line extractor is fitted with ducting into the loft and then along to the eaves where the exit grill is but we have replaced the fan a couple of times due to motors going and the ducting despite being pulled tight often has standing water in it

There's no room to fit an extractor fan directly to the outside of the house on either side of the window or above it. The ducting in the loft has a run of 3m to the eaves or around 3-4m to the external side wall

We're just wondering whether to replace the fan with a better one that we leave on for longer, perhaps use an alternative ducting or whether there is a better way of ventilating the shower when in use (besides opening the window which we do)

Our neighbours have a fan which moves the moist air from the en suite into the main bathroom and another fan in the main bathroom running at the same time but this seems a bit unorthodox

Sponsored Links
What is the problem with the inline fan?
the inline fans are often higher air movement that a wall mounted fan as the motor can be bigger.
Saying this I don't use them much as I try to fit the fan on an external wall as a fan works best when It's moving the air a short distance.
The wall mount fans I fit now are very quiet and will extract 85 cubic meters p/h.
You could still fit a surface fan on the ceiling and vent the 3m through the loft.
I will often do this and take the duct out a soffit very close to the fan, is this an option you have?

The ducting is currently above the shower and taking the moist air through ducting in the loft and out to the vent in the soffit

There is no current external wall suitable for putting a wall fan to take it straight outside (although this would be the ideal option)

The problem seems to be that the moist air condenses before it reaches the outside, given the pools of water that form in the ducting and ultimately the fan breaks as presumably the motor gets damaged.

The ducting is pulled as tight as possible and laid to allow water to drain away

Unfortunately the nearest soffit is around 3m away as is the side wall that the ducting could be taken out of, so there is nothing near enough to take the duct straight out

One option would be to use a length of soil pipe away from the fan to the outside with a slight decline to allow and condensate to run away but I'm just trying to get my head around where to place the fan in terms of proximity to the vent abouve the shower and would still presumably have to connect the soffit end and the above shower end via flexible ducting. Have also heard talk of condensate traps to prevent cold water dripping back into the shower

Will perhaps have a Google and see if there are any set up diagrams online anywhere that are better than the current set up

Sponsored Links
Rigid ducting will avoid the problem of pooling, and works better anyway. Soil pipe would be unnecessarily heavy, and maybe not the right size.

Could you go straight up to a roof vent tile, and then box in and insulate the entire ducting/fan assembly to minimise condensation?

Or if you want to keep the route as is, look at suppliers of rigid ducting - you'll find elbows of various angles which would allow you to come out of the fan, up vertically and then bend through more than 90° for a downhill run to the vent. You could then box in just the fan, vertical run and elbow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back