Multiple extraction fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a modern(ish) 3 bed house. We have an en-suite which has an extraction fan for the shower. This is in the loft and the ducting goes out to a vent fitted in the eaves.

In our family bathroom, there is no ventilation at all. Now that we have a baby, we are using the room more and I am conscious I want to do something about it before we have condensation / mould problems.

We also have an airing cupboard which we dry washing in. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to put a humidity sensing fan in there.

Anyway, should I put 3 separate fans in, or is there such a system where I can have one fan, but have duct work to each location? One reason for this is that I don't think it would be very easy making additional exhaust holes in the eaves at the back of the house.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You could have multiple fans entering the same ducting system, the efficiency of this would depend on number of bends and length of route of the ducting per fan.
Does the family bathroom have a window that opens, they are very useful as ventilation!

The heat exchangers are designed to work on the whole house taking the heat out of the outgoing air and putting it into the incoming air.

However although made and sold I have never fitted one so not a clue to if it does as the makers claim.

Sponsored Links
I put a heat exchanger system into a friends house just over a year ago and it has worked well and silently taken air from the kitchen and bathroom and putting the dry warm air into the bedrooms. The biggest problem was the shear size of the insulated ducting - it takes up a lot of room in the loft. Cost about £350 all in.
If you go down the purely extract route, remember that the available air input must be greater than the fan potential or you could have problems with noise, inefficiency and non-balanced-flue-heaters

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I've been looking at lofty type things also for another property I have which has a condensation problem. Seem to have good reviews and good comments in the building section of this forum.

I might go for a multi-room system. Not top job on the list right now, but thought I'd see what options I have while it was fresh in my mind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back