venting bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im installing a fan over a shower through the loft but the eaves on my house are dropped eaves so i cant get the ducting down to the eaves and through a vent ,is it possible to just leave the duct loose lowered down to the eaves and let the extractor fan vent through the gaps in the eaves or have i got to try and mount it on the eaves .

Sponsored Links
The duct must go to outside. Venting air from your bathroom into your loft will likely cause condensation causing your roof timbers to rot. It is unlikely that warn air (which rises) would find its way out on its own.

Building regs have greatly increased the requirement for roof ventilation under normal circumstances in recent years to prevent condensation, add warm damp air and you will be asking for problems.

Is there not a gable end you could fit a grille to? or failing that try this through the roof vent.

www.diynot.com/shop/110mm_Angled_Through_Roof_Vent_Kit/20388

i may be able to go through the soffit but it will be awkward to feed the flexible duct down through the soffit

malo said:
i may be able to go through the soffit but it will be awkward to feed the flexible duct down through the soffit

I had this problem. The solution is to feed the flexible duct up through the soffit from the outside. It makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
You might think about putting a hole through the wall. You can hire a 105mm core drill that will go through with ease (bit dusty though) which you then line with a bit of soil pipe, and pack round the ends with mortar.

When I hired one I drilled for the kitchen extractor, the bathroom, and the tumbledrier in one afternoon, to get the max use out of it. I's infinitely better than trying to go through a wall with hammer and chisel.

malo said:
im installing a fan over a shower through the loft but the eaves on my house are dropped eaves so i cant get the ducting down to the eaves and through a vent ,is it possible to just leave the duct loose lowered down to the eaves and let the extractor fan vent through the gaps in the eaves or have i got to try and mount it on the eaves .

I have a similar problem (I live in a mid-terrace so no gable end). One solution as suggested is to use a roof vent kit.

However, I do have a chimney that has been taken out upto roof space level (all required steel supports in place), could a ducting be taken up the chimney and bathroom extractor vented out the top?

Is it likely that the steam would condense on the way up and water run back down?

yes it is

hasn't the bathroom got a window or an external wall?

John M said:
Could always not have a fan ;)

Yes!! I wish I had gone with that option! But fan installed! aghhhh!

might be easier and cheeper to remove!

If your really careful you can do a thro roof vent, without actually goin' on the roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back