bathroom fan wiring - please look at drawing + help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on installing an IPX7 bathroom SELV fan, wall mounted, wired via the ceiling rose, through 3-pole switch and transformer (the last two being situated outside the bathroom in a storage cupboard). The bathroom is situated in a first floor flat. Walls are tiled, ceiling is concrete. Please have a look at the drawing below and answer these questions:

1. how do I wire my 3+E cable from the ceiling rose to the switch in the cupboard? I planned on running it along the concrete ceiling, surrounded by trunking as per drawing. How do I go from one side of the tiled wall through the other elegantly? Surface junction box? Would appreciate a link to a picture of appropriate items.

2. same for the return path to the bathroom downstream of the transformer. I'm not sure how as to what to have on the bathroom tiled side. I would go from there to my wall-mounted fan, again surrounding my cable (supplied with the fan I imagine) in self-adhesive trunking.

Fan in zone 2, all wiring in zones 2 and 3. I realise that this is notifiable work.

Would be grateful for any suggestions. I'm hoping some can say "right, you need to buy this, this and that, place this box here, etc..."

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer, but I've gone through all of that info. What I'm after is a. someone to tell me whether the proposed installation in my drawing is sensible and b. what parts to purchase (i.e. what to use on the surface when running cable from a ceiling through a wall to the cupboard next door). Please help :)

If the cables have to be surface mounted on the ceiling/walls use trunking.
Don't use self adhesive as the steam/heat in there will cause it to fall off.

Don't put any junction boxes in the bathroom, simply drill thru into adjacent cupboard, run in the cable, seal around the hole, and butt the trunking up tight to the wall. In the cupboard, take the cable from the rose straight into a TP isolator. From the transformer, go back into the bathroom with the ELV supply to cable going directly to the fan in a similar fashion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Equitum, that's exactly what I was looking for. A couple of questions remaining:

1. ok I shouldn't use self adhesive trunking in the bathroom due steam. How do I then fix the trunking to the ceiling? Plugs + screws? What spacing?

2. you mentioned sealing around the holes in the tiled wall through which the cable will run. Do you mean silicone sealant such as this?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73570...h-Pro-Repair-White-Silicone-Water-Based-310ml

Thanks.

Thanks Equitum, that's exactly what I was looking for. A couple of questions remaining:

1. ok I shouldn't use self adhesive trunking in the bathroom due steam. How do I then fix the trunking to the ceiling? Plugs + screws? What spacing?

Adequate spacing and fixings to secure it the the wall/ceiling !

2. you mentioned sealing around the holes in the tiled wall through which the cable will run. Do you mean silicone sealant such as this?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73570...h-Pro-Repair-White-Silicone-Water-Based-310ml

Thanks.

Yes silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back