wiring a bathroom fan - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to install a fan in the flat's bathroom, preferably one that comes on with the light (i.e. wired to the SwL, L, N and earth of the light via a 3-pole isolator switch mounted outside the bathroom). Here are my questions:

* the ceiling where the light is situated is concrete so I don't fancy chasing it. The walls are tiled. Can I run 3-core round flex from the light to the 3-pole switch externally on the ceiling and through the wall (covered with self-adhesive trunking)? The ceiling is over 2.25m high. I would then run a similar cable back to the fan from its isolator switch.

* what about supplementary bonding for the fan? Does that need to be taken care of? If so how? Would I be better off getting an SELV fan that doesn't require it? If so I'd have to find somwhere to put the transformer. Airing cupboard outside the bathroom sound ok?

* I also have the option of wiring the fan from the circuit which used to feed the no-longer-present immersion heater in the cupboard. It is currently fused with a 15A cartridge fuse (see photo of CU in my profile). I would replace the fuse with a 5A equivalent. The fan would then be independent from the light coming on. I would then need to run a single flex from the cupboard to the fan, again supposedly externally on the ceiling under trunking. Is this a better option?

Thanks for your help.

Here's a pick of my fusebox:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back