Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I wish to put a fan in our small bathroom of which is about 8ft square.
I don't wish to fit an extractor fan kit etc as the out going wall is about 12 inches thick.
Basically just swinging a flannel around for 20 seconds clears the room no problem.

Any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
An extractor takes out the excess moisture, whereas waving it around just moves it from one surface to another. You can hire a core drill and core bit from the local hire shop, and a 12" wall will be a doddle. I recently fitted one in a 7x5 shower room.

A fan would really be a wall heater running on the cold setting, and for that, you'd need to wire up a pull switch and an FCU from an outside supply.

Ok
Now you got me thinking about the extractor kit.
We live in a Bungalow so do I install the fan in the wall & go straight outside OR fit it into the ceiling then in the loft have pipework routing it through the outside wall ?

Remember that DIY electrics in a bathroom is frowned upon, so weigh up the pros and cons there. Might even invalidate your building and contents insurance if the worst happens.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your competence, and your agility, you might be able to go up in the ceiling, then out through the soffit, but you'd then need a drain kit as well to stop the water condensing back down into the fan. If you go through the wall, much as you'll need to hire the drilling kit, you take it downwards at a slight angle to drop any water out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back