Bathroom Floor - hiding tile gaps where floor meets wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so I’ve just moved into a new build and had some ‘unatural flooring’ http://www.unnaturalflooring.com/products-page/unnatural-flooring/oyster/
Fitted in our bathroom. The bathroom’s are fully tiled, but where the tiles meet the floor I’d estimate we’ve got up to 10mm jagged gap on a few of the tiles. Looks like the tiles have been roughly cut with the hope that any flooring will be thick enough to hide this. Unfortunately our flooring is only about 3.5mm thick, so with the floor fitted we’ve got a jagged 5-8mm gap at the bottom.

Just wondered what our options were. We really like the flooring. We could potentially get the builders to fix the tiles, but the some of the tiles have the radiator pipe going through them, so we may have the argument that the flooring is unreasonably thin at 3.5mm.

Would it be possible to life the flooring and lay down a very compressed rubber type mat and lay the flooring on top?

Keen to know what anybody else thinks potential options to resolve this.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, here’s some pics.

Probably not as bad as 10mm, more like 5mm, but still looks untidy

Attachments

• C0CE99FE-9443-4743-9E40-65C8A78C1DF0.jpeg
    C0CE99FE-9443-4743-9E40-65C8A78C1DF0.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 305
  • AB71ED06-7EE9-4171-971C-9FAE896AC1CD.jpeg
    AB71ED06-7EE9-4171-971C-9FAE896AC1CD.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 321
is this new floorin stuck down or loose laid?

maybe you could do the lift the floorin an lay on top of a thick underlay suitable for a bathroom business?
would raisin the FFL affect the swing of the door?

if the new floorin stuff - ive never seen that stuff before - stops at the tile then yo could squeeze grey silicone in to fill the gap.
or if the stuff goes under the tile you could cut it an squeeze grey silicone in the gap.

Sponsored Links
I'd glue a pvc quadrant or moulding to the tiles - Eurocell or similar sell them.

Thanks for all the advice.

The floor is stuck down. And I’ve got about 10-12mm gap under the door, so an underlay could go under. Any suggestions on a suitable make/model of underlay?

Just a query. Do you think the tilers (I know it’s a tiling question!) should’ve tiled down to the bottom of the floor? i.e. finished the tiles in a neat line with grout to the bottom? I’m meeting with the builder and really want them to sort out, but want to understand what the real world expectations are.

Wall tiled down on to floor and sealed , silicon to allow movement , grout will crack , especially in today’s shoddy new builds .

The floor is stuck down. And I’ve got about 10-12mm gap under the door, so an underlay could go under.

Don't forget to maintain that 10mm gap underneath the door if you have an extractor fan. This is required so that replacement air can enter the room when the fan is on and the door closed

@cwhayley, thanks for the tip.

Speaking to the tiler who did the job tomorrow, so hopefully we can get a suitable solution. (Even if it means replacing the tiles).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back