Bathroom floor prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First timer here, been lurking for a few weeks trying to do some research on what to do.

Basically I'm going to be tiling my bathroom floor, but in doing so I'm going to move the current chipboard floorboards and replace with plywood.

From the research I've done I've found out that you need to use WBP ply either 18mm or 25mm in thickness, priming the underside and edges.

Now my little issue comes with underfloor heating (mat type as opposed to wet), apparently you shouldn't really lay the mat directly onto of the plywood then tile, it's better to have a backing border then ufh then tile. Is it acceptable to use the thinner plywood then the backing board as I don't really want to raise my floor if I can help it (I appreciate that the might be some raising due to the tiles). Its not a particularly big room (1.7x2.2m). I'd be using either some BAL adhesive or Mapei adhesive (at this moment it'll probably be Mapei).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Id imagine 18mm ply will be fine with a thinner backing board. If in doubt ask the suppliers of your adhesive and/or UFH for clarification.

Hi all

First timer here, been lurking for a few weeks trying to do some research on what to do.

Basically I'm going to be tiling my bathroom floor, but in doing so I'm going to move the current chipboard floorboards and replace with plywood.

From the research I've done I've found out that you need to use WBP ply either 18mm or 25mm in thickness, priming the underside and edges.

Now my little issue comes with underfloor heating (mat type as opposed to wet), apparently you shouldn't really lay the mat directly onto of the plywood then tile, it's better to have a backing border then ufh then tile. Is it acceptable to use the thinner plywood then the backing board as I don't really want to raise my floor if I can help it (I appreciate that the might be some raising due to the tiles). Its not a particularly big room (1.7x2.2m). I'd be using either some BAL adhesive or Mapei adhesive (at this moment it'll probably be Mapei).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

have you looked into ditra matt its only 3mm thick or Durabase CI Matting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back