Bathroom Floor tiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We would like to either tile or put wood flooring down in the bathroom which currently has poorly laid lino, but the toilet and sink are already in place and the bath panel touches the floor. We you recommend having all these items removed then tile the floor then put them back as it could get very expensive doing that?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
AdrianB
I personally would go for a lovely tiled floor , most pro tilers will remove basin pedestals /wc bowls...an bath sides /ends ....an tile under this bathroom furniture...;)
hope this helps ..:)

It would look good titled. We just need to choose the colour now (that wont be easy) and get someone round for a few quotes that would be able to remove and replace the toilet etc.

AdrianB
I can't remember the name now but their are some very beautiful sandstone coloured big oblong ones which are in style at the moment , get them fitted length wise to make the room appear longer /bigger...

any good tiler will tell you what looks good an not in each sized bathroom

+ if he says the floor needs sorting get it done , as you want them right an a good tiled floor can last many many years ....;)

Sponsored Links
Tiles will raise the level of the floor quite a lot as you will have to lay plywood sheeting (12mm) for the tiles to sit on.

You may have to have an MDF bath panel that can be cut down easily.

joe

if the floor needs sorting its 18mm marine ply /wbp, on joists treated with wood preserve an noggins at 18"

and a wbp side/end panel ,can be tiled too if you like ...

the step from landing too new tiled level can be got over with a piece of ply shaved at a shim level /slope too the new tiled floor ....

any pro tiler will tell you this ....;)

That's if you pull the boards up and the entire bathroom suite out - ie new bathroom. 12 mm is quite good enough to go on top of decent boards.

joe

offroader
its all down too your own preference but laminate is looking tired like the terracotta paint era ...

joe-90

I dont want to get in an arguement here ...,you can replace the floor boards that require with out replacing the suite ...lol

an the 12mm on top of the floorboards an then mud an tiles ...oh dear

about a 22 mm step or higher , lol !!!!!!!!

10 /12mm at most yes but more it looks absolutely awful an I would never recommend it ..lol
an no pro tiler would ...

Moz said:
offroader
its all down too your own preference but laminate is looking tired like the terracotta paint era ...

I think this looks the business....

kd-new-shot-master.jpg

Having my bathroom floor kinda like this.....

martins-bathroom.jpg

Its a nice effect, just more expensive than the chavy laminate flooring thing, yuk, hate the stuff.

offroader
I see your point , but a good tiled floor is still seen as Must , you can get many types of vinyl......
tiles arent cold on a wooden substrate ..lol .....they can be if the area is bigger than 4 m by 3m then upstairs underfloor heating is recommended ...

my dislike for vinyl.. is well founded ....
I always remember one I had in my kitchen only a few years ago that discoloured....by the sun from the bay window :( :(

an my lady wife had a party an some bimbo there ended up pieceing it in her high heels ..lol

an price for price tiling it was same ...
I could shame the brand name here now an give their website ,but why bother .....
they just let me down ...:( :(

but by all means try vinyl...those pics look nice :)

I thought I'd post a picture of the bathroom at the moment to give you an idea. It’s not finished yet though! The wall tiles need re grouting. The shower cubicle (not shown) needs a thermostatic shower unit installed and a glass door installed. Part of the floor needs to come up to have the shower cubical waste water plumbed into the soil pipe. I have an extractor fan waiting to be fitted just need to find someone to do it as the room is tiled to the ceiling. I want to get the tatty old radiator removed; the hole behind it tiled and a chrome towel radiator fitted. Plus a new wood door and door frame. A bit of tidying up of the wall tills around the radiators pipes etc where a poor jobs been done.

Then it’ll be finished! I think the current floor looks ok its just it’s been fitted really poorly. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

AdrianB
when thinking of having a child do you just go an snatch one at maternity...???????????

doing a bathroom is planning an ...jesus you got it in the whole WRONG order ....lol :) :)

SO wrong ...lol

did you get a bathroom fitter in ? ..
no I doubt it ,
every point in your post above should of been a piece of p*ss ,

in earlier work , now , lol Nightmare ...:(

ANY bathroom fitter would of given verbal advice ... an written stages of work in contract when taken on ... :)

but when diy , you now MUST expect to pay ..lol ..sorry :( :(

We have recently got on the property ladder but the old owners of this property re did the bathroom just before moving out but not very well and cut massive corners by not doing anything that would have cost extra money like fitting an extractor fan before tiling! In fact not fitting one at all.

If it was me I would have planned everything out properly like I’m doing with the other rooms. I’m a planner and a forward thinker but sadly with this room it’s more of a case of making best of the situation I’m in to finally get this room finished.

AdrianB
you are good planner ...an as you say brilliant people ...

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back