bathroom flooring - removing old tiles and fitting new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey!

just pulled up the vinyl flooring in my bathroom to find a right mess underneath. We have a double shower tray and no bath. Water has been getting under the vinyl and onto the concrete floor from splashing. Its a right mess. Someone who installed the bathroom suite has simply laid a vinyl lino over some vinly tiling (vinyl tiling was done by the original builders) and laid a load of newspaper between the tiles and new lino.

Anyway i have some questions...

1) Removing of the lino was easy, so was the newspaper (and a good read to lol),. Getting the vinyl tiles up is fine, but they have been glued down. Because the water and glue have mixed its all gone stringy and sticky. It covers the complete bathroom concrete floor. Whats the best way (if any) to remove this glue?

2) Ive got some new vinyl lino in the garage. I was going to patch up some floor with cement where its needed, then re lay the lino (tucking it underneath the shower tray) and then using a tidy bead of sealant between the floor and shower tray to prevent anymore water going onto the concrete. My alternative would be to tile the floor. Whats the best thing to do? The reason im keen to use a new piece of lino is its less time consuming and have already bought it!

2) I plan to fit a shower door the full length of my shower tray. Any tips for drilling into tiling to boldt this thing to the walls?

Any help would be appreciated. Even any better ideas would be welcomed! I dont want to put a new suite in as its recently had one done before i bought the place...it seems its just been a bit bodged!

Sponsored Links
id just self level the floor if its concrete, prime 1st though. you can get SLC what covers vinyl tiles so no need to remove. Tiling can be done in as little as 24-48hrs later plus youll have a nice level floor to tile with.

Drilling into tiles is easy especially if ceramic, porcelain are much more difficult. use the correct drill bits and its easy. diamond for porcelain and normal masonry bits will do ceramic but i tend to use bosch (blue colour) approx £3 per bit youll only need 1 drill bit 7mm i would use for a shower screen and 6mm for light use. if in doubt pop in BQ and youll easily get the drill bits and it will tell you on the pack what there for, cant go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back