Bathroom flooring with underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 60's house & am creating 2 new bathrooms from the former one, one ensuite for myself & another for my children aged 8 & 10 (& still very splashy!). My builder has suggested foil underfloor heating under laminate & I have bought it. However, I rang the manufacturer to double check & they advise against using any of their products in a bathroom under laminate. I have no other natural heating in the bathroom due to having a single pipe system struggling to feed to this area. Joists are firm but can tend to flex a little when my children galavant around, more especially when their friends do too!

What would you do for flooring, bearing in mind I am trying to bring in underfloor heating to make the bathrooms pleasant places to be & not too cold.

Sponsored Links
You could maybe exchange your foil heating for a 3mm cable system.

It's slighty more expensive to prepare as the sub-floor needs insulation in the form of cement backing boards. The cable is then laid on the boards and covered with a 4/5mm screed. It is then ready to recieve any flooring type you like.

The backing boards do 2 things, insulate the floor keeping running costs down and heat the floor up quicker. They also add strength to the sub-floor allowing you to lay, tiles, wood , laminate etc.

Don't think a laminate would last long in a bathroom though, even the so-called "waterproof" laminates. There's no such thing!!

Just advice but, ceramic tiles would be best or karndean vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back