Electric Underfloor Heating

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having a suspended bathroom floor replaced with a concrete one and was interested to know peoples thoughts on the best method of Underfloor Heating.
I will be using a cable as opposed to a mat (because of the shape) but more importantly is it better to lay it in or under the screed, or directly under the floor tiles (on top of the screed).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Laying it in the screed with give you more even heat but will take longer to heat up and longer to cool because of the mass, but this is usually considered a desirable effect .

I have no experience with electric UFH , only water,but based on that, would guess at "longer" being 15 -20 mins, happy to be corrected though.

Cables have to be burried. cables are usually 3mm layed directly to sub-floor, then a laytex screed layed on top, then tiles.

Laying on to new concret though will give you problems and you'll have to wait approx 1 month for each 1 inch of conrete layed, it will aslo be colder and take forever to warm up.
You can add insulation to the concrete but have to consider this in advance.

Is your suspended floor in poor condition? if not, keep it, it will be cheaper and warmer.
You can lay insulation boards straight to timber, fit heating and tile on top!!

Hi
I am having a suspended bathroom floor replaced with a concrete one and was interested to know peoples thoughts on the best method of Underfloor Heating.
I will be using a cable as opposed to a mat (because of the shape) but more importantly is it better to lay it in or under the screed, or directly under the floor tiles (on top of the screed).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back